Musical Monday #62
Welcome to the 62nd edition of Musical Monday, the weekly quiz that Soccer Dad and I alternate hosting. As always, the challenge is to identify the title and artist of each song quote, as well as the common theme of the set of songs. But before I get to the quotes themselves, a couple of notes relating to this and upcoming MMs:
First, you'll note that this MM is extra-long, containing a full 62 songs to match the edition number. This number has no additional significance in relation to the theme, and despite the number of entries, there is a single uniform theme this week. But I'd also like to say that this edition of MM involved the most effort/research of any I've put together to date, and not only because of its length. Hopefully all the songs should be relatively guessable, though you might find the last half dozen or so a bit harder than the rest. Hope my extra work pays off in terms of both your enjoyment and success rate!
Secondly, though a number of the songs below have been recorded by more than one artist, I will confirm that in all cases I am looking for one particular version of the song. It will generally be either the original and/or the most well-known version, but I don't guarantee this and, unfortunately, can't (won't!) say any more on an individual song basis.
Finally, my MM partner Soccer Dad and I note that due to the upcoming Jewish holidays, MM will be published on a bi-weekly basis for the next couple of editions. This, #63 should appear at Soccer Dad on Monday 10/6, and #64 back here on Monday 10/20, after which the regular weekly schedule should resume.
Without further ado:
1) "Well, my heart went 'boom'"
2) "Only took a couple of days 'til she was rid of me"
3) "I hide in my music, forget the day"
4) "I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram"
5) "You taught me the ways of desire"
6) "Let them brush your rock and roll hair"
7) "I won't do you no harm, no"
8) "I found an island in your arms, country in your eyes"
9) "Spent my time so foolishly"
10) "When I was not so strong, you know"
11) "On the street where you live girls talk about their social lives"
12) "If you got the money honey, we got your disease"
13) "Friday evening, Sunday in the afternoon"
14) "Lighten up while you still can"
15) "Drink my liquor from an old fruit jar"
16) "We don't have time to get restless"
17) "Gonna hang me up in the doorway"
18) "Though my mind wants to cry out loud"
19) "Some honeys will be coming along"
20) "Can't trust that day"
21) "It's just no good anymore since you went away"
22) "For the man who stole your water"
23) "Something that both of us have always wanted to do"
24) "Don't come in, I'll only run and hide"
25) "And I sit all alone impatiently"
26) "It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie"
27) "Tonight there'll be no hesitating"
28) "(Silly boy) Told my girl we had to break up"
29) "Some say it's a sign of weakness, for a man to beg"
30) "You know you could have been a broom"
31) "I would wait forever for those lips of wine"
32) "They're piling in the back seat, they're generating steam heat"
33) "If he stops to think he starts to cry, oh why"
34) "Save the buckshot turn up the band"
35) "But it lifts me up when we are walking anywhere"
36) "The disco hotspots hold no charm for you"
37) "And I ate a million dinners brought to me on silver trays"
38) "I got no love, no love you'd call real"
39) "Their children hate them for the things they're not"
40) "Then Sue came along, loved me strong"
41) "On this strange and mournful day"
42) "Darling in your wildest dreams, you never had a clue"
43) "How would I know, why should I care?"
44) "My hands can't feel to grip"
45) "She sewed my new blue jeans"
46) "Going down the old mine with a transistor radio"
47) "I walk in the air between the rain"
48) "I ain't gonna take none of your putting me down!"
49) "Never said I wanted to improve my station"
50) "I just think of you and I start to glow"
51) "Telling lies, well that's no surprise"
52) "I found someone new, he's waiting in the car outside"
53) "She's the kind of girl who's not too shy"
54) "I'm in no hurry baby time can wait"
55) "Sitting in the corner of a crowded barroom"
56) "Calling on in transit, calling on in transit"
57) "I know a thing or two about her"
58) "The daughter of a captain on the rolling seas"
59) "Sweet surrender on the quayside"
60) "Well my Lord spoke, he spoke so well"
61) "I sold my house, I sold my motor, too"
62) "He had the finest funeral the union could afford"
Good luck and enjoy!
9/28, 1:55 pm: Answers are up!