Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, July 03, 2008

50 Favorites By Artist

As a follow-on to this week's Musical Monday - to which, by the way, I've just posted the answers - here's a topic I've been thinking about for a while - my favorite songs by bands. Note this is not synonymous with my overall favorite songs - a question I've always adamantly refused to answer, mostly because it would be too hard to choose one over another. Plus, if I did compile a list of my overall faves, it would likely include several songs each by many of the following groups. Picking a favorite song by a particular band is somewhat easier, though even there, there were quite a few close seconds - some indicated below in parentheses.

As you'll also notice, most of my selections are not the band in question's most well-known song or biggest hit - in fact many of them are downright obscure. As I've noted before, the most popular song by a given artist is often among my least preferred of their songs. Whether this is due to the song's overexposure, or my generally contrary nature, is one of those questions that will never truly be resolved.

So here goes. In keeping with my Musical Monday theme this week, I kept the list of bands to fifty. Please comment back with your own favorite songs by artist, either these bands or any others:

  1. Allman Brothers: Whipping Post
  2. America : Sister Golden Hair
  3. Bangles: Let It Go
  4. Beatles : A Day In The Life (Close 2nd: While My Guitar Gently Weeps)
  5. Billy Joel: The Ballad of Billy the Kid (Close 2nd: Angry Young Man)
  6. Bob Dylan: Tangled Up in Blue
  7. Bob Seger: Turn the Page
  8. Boston: Peace Of Mind (Close 2nd: Don't Look Back)
  9. Bruce Springsteen: Jungleland
  10. Carly Simon: That's The Way I Always Heard It Should Be
  11. Carole King: Home Again
  12. Cars: Just What I Needed
  13. Chicago: Make Me Smile (Close 2nd: 25 or 6 to 4)
  14. CSNY: Wooden Ships (Close 2nd: Woodstock)
  15. Dire Straits: Lady Writer
  16. Doors: Shaman's Blues
  17. Eagles: One Of These Nights
  18. ELO: Mr. Blue Sky (Close 2nd: Sweet Talkin' Woman)
  19. Elton John: Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
  20. Elvis Costello: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
  21. ELP: From the Beginning
  22. Eric Clapton: Can't Find My Way Home
  23. Fleetwood Mac: Go Your Own Way (Close 2nd: Brown Eyes)
  24. Foreigner: Blue Morning, Blue Day
  25. Guess Who/BTO: She's Come Undone
  26. Heart: Crazy On You
  27. Jackson Browne: You Love The Thunder
  28. Jim Croce: Operator (Close 2nd: I've Got a Name)
  29. Jimi Hendrix: All Along The Watch Tower
  30. Joe Jackson: Veronica
  31. Kansas: Miracles Out Of Nowhere
  32. Kinks: Catch Me Now I'm Falling
  33. Led Zeppelin: Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (Close 2nd: Stairway to Heaven)
  34. Linda Ronstadt: Poor Poor Pitiful Me
  35. Meat Loaf: Bat Out Of Hell (Close 2nd: Paradise by the Dashboard Light)
  36. Monkees: Pleasant Valley Sunday
  37. Moody Blues: Nights In White Satin
  38. Neil Young: My My, Hey Hey
  39. Pat Benatar: Silent Partner
  40. Pink Floyd: Time
  41. Police: Synchronicity II
  42. Pretenders: Mystery Achievement
  43. Queen: Play The Game (Close 2nd: Bohemian Rhapsody)
  44. Simon & Garfunkel: Somewhere They Can't Find Me (Close 2nd: My Little Town)
  45. Stevie Wonder: Higher Ground
  46. Styx: Blue Collar Man (Close 2nd: Man In The Wilderness)
  47. Rolling Stones: Paint it Black
  48. Tom Petty: Running Down a Dream
  49. U2: Where The Streets Have No Name
  50. The Who: The Real Me (Close 2nd: Won't Get Fooled Again)

3 Comments:

At 7/3/08, 6:41 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

CSNY: Teach Your Children Well

Stevie Wonder: Ribbon in the Sky

Kansas: Dust in the Wind

America: A Horse with No Name

James Taylor: Fire and Rain

Carly Simon: your song choice, as well as Carly's rendition of "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning"

Earth, Wind & Fire: September

Eric Clapton: Layla

 
At 7/3/08, 7:01 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Thanks Pearl! Great choices.

Just realized I pasted in the wrong song title for the last one on the list (The Who). It's now corrected.

 
At 7/4/08, 1:54 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Maybe I'll address this in full.

It's funny but now that I have both Meaty, Beefy Big and Bouncy and Who's Next, I much prefer the former album. Substitute is my favorite.

Over the years I've changed my view on Fleetwood Mac. I've come to prefer Christine McVie to Stevie Nicks. "Think About Me" is an excellent pop tune and it's currently my favorite Fleetwood Mac song.

Somewhere they can't find isn't my favorite version of the song. It's too edgy. I much prefer Wednesday Morning at 3AM. However Only Living Boy in NY is my favorite now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home