Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, February 26, 2007

Random Blog Roulette

I recently discovered/invented an interesting pastime. It involves a button found on the top of nearly all Blogger-hosted blogs, labeled "NEXT BLOG".

When I first noticed this button, I assumed it was a link to the particular blog that, chronologically, was created under Blogger right after mine was. However, once I tried the link a couple of times, I realized that the blog it calls "next" seems to have been selected almost completely at random. In fact - and here's where the game comes in - it brings you to a different random blog each time you click it.

So every once in a while when I'm particularly bored, or feeling (very mildly) adventurous, I click on NEXT BLOG, and then my browser's back button, five or ten times in succession. It's always interesting to see what unknown, arbitrarily chosen blog will come up each time. At least half of them are in a foreign language; I've gotten ones in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Russian and at least five different types of Asian character sets. There are sure a lot of blogs out there!

I've also learned that the selection isn't totally random, in that certain blogs (e.g.) have come up multiple times. I'd be interested in seeing what randomizing algorithm is used and why there are particular results that recur fairly often.

In addition to relieving ennui, I've actually picked up interesting facts or found good links on a few of those random blogs, which have even led to a couple of recent posts of my own.

If you feel like giving my Blog Roulette game a whirl, here's a fair warning: Once in a while you may get a blog that you find offensive. I've accidentally hit a couple of naughty ones, but the only blog I encountered which truly repelled and disgusted me to the core, was this one. Don't click the link if you have a weak stomach.

Happy (random) blogging!

4 Comments:

At 2/26/07, 8:48 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

That's how I stumbled on the J-blogosphere...! :)

Actually, I think it more often goes to blogs that have been recently updated.

 
At 2/27/07, 9:34 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

It is fun I have done that a few times, never got ot any offensive or really interesting ones but I like risks.

 
At 2/27/07, 1:32 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

It is kind of fun to see what comes up.

 
At 2/27/07, 3:47 PM, Blogger Rafi G. said...

I do this often. It is very interesting to see what is out there. Lots of blogs in foreign languages. But I never thought about blogging about my findings. interesting

 

Post a Comment

<< Home