Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Avoiding the Agony

"A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while."
- Don McLean, "American Pie"

"Whatever you do, don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it."
- Basil Fawlty

In the month since Israel's latest struggle for survival began, I have blogged about most every other topic I can think of, but have pointedly avoided writing about the war. This is not only because many others in the J-blogosphere are doing such a stellar job at covering it (they are), or because I think I'd have little, in quality or quantity, to add to the available deluge of information and opinion (also true). But it's also simply this: just as the war refugees from the North need (relatively) safe places to live while the bombing and fighting is going on, so too J-blog readers need places to go where they can be - albeit briefly - informed, enlightened, amused, and - most of all - distracted from the fear and tragedy that has become our nation's daily reality.

So please, by all means*, stay in touch with what our people are going through, and support Israel in any way you can. And then, when you need a break, stop by here... and take a few minutes to recharge, recreate, and redirect for a bit. If not make you smile, I'll try to at least help you, temporarily, stem the tears.



* Though some means are certainly better than others! Here are the handful of sites - among many other good ones - that I've been using myself to stay current on the war news and related events:

These three provide nearly continual, up-to-date news. I keep them up on my screen all day, and refresh constantly:
These provide analysis, commentary, and links to a multitude of other invaluable sources and resources:

3 Comments:

At 8/10/06, 4:25 PM, Blogger Elder of Ziyon said...

Thanks for the link!

 
At 8/10/06, 5:08 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Elie - thanks for the link...and for being an island of normalacy.

It's appreciated! (Even us in the bunkers need a break from to time)

 
At 8/13/06, 1:06 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I also avoid the war, I love the American Pie song.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home