Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Watch My Meme

"As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was on my watch
And I said
Does anybody really know what time it is?
Does anybody really care?
If so I can't imagine why
We've all got time enough to cry."
- Chicago, "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"

Soccer Dad tagged me with the "watch meme" so, watch my meme! (Or should it be "my watch meme"?)

My current watch is an Esquire. It has the same face style as #4 in this list, but with a white background instead of grey, and a leather band instead of metal.

Interestingly, there's a connection between this watch and my blog. I received the watch as a 20th service anniversary gift from my company. The actual date of that service anniversary was July 15, 2005 - the exact same day I started the blog!

I'm rather particular when it comes to watches. Contra my song snippet above, I always like to know the time fairly exactly. So any watch I own has to have a second hand and markings around the face for each second. Those ultra-chic watches that just have two hands and no markings at all around the face would be maddening to me; if I had one, I would be utterly clueless as to what time it was showing.

On the other had I do prefer an analog to a digital watch; the latter just feels juvenile, somehow.

Watch me now as I tag Shifra, Jack, and Pearl!

9 Comments:

At 6/29/06, 4:35 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I don't wear a watch much anymore, but I should be able to do this.

 
At 6/29/06, 9:41 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Okay, Elie...when I get a MOMENT I'll complete this for you. Just WATCH me..!

 
At 6/29/06, 10:12 PM, Blogger Scottage said...

funny, my title for the meme was "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is", from the Blood Sweat and Tears song you quoted above. Nice post, and nice blog!

 
At 6/30/06, 1:00 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Very funny and very cute.

 
At 6/30/06, 10:34 AM, Blogger Neil Harris said...

Cute meme. I just stumbled across your blog, but had read the posting about Aaron z"l on Cross-Currents last month.

I think I'll have a lot of funny reading over your back-blogs.

Not a fan of SW I-III, huh.

I spent many Yom Tovim in Highland Park before I got married, back when Rabbi Kamenetsky was still at OE. Looking forward to checking your blog regularly. Have a great Shabbos.

 
At 6/30/06, 11:09 AM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Currently I wear a Cardinal watch (made by Wenger Corp.), and the style is called Zzzzip, model 1719.

http://www.cardinalwatch.com/ca_zzip.html

("Slip your wrist into the new zzip resin collection. Fun to wear and and an easy fit with your busy lifestyle, their super slim design means they're light and comfortable to wear. Features include the latest quartz technology, a scratch resistant mineral crystal and solid steel bezel.")

It is a funky-looking timepiece, a conversation piece...which I like. I don't like to spend lots of money on watches, and I think the regular price was about $29.99 and I got it on sale for $11.00. I bought the two on display, thinking I'd give both of them as gifts to my kids' friends -- I gave one away, and liked the other so much, I kept it for myself!

I own several nice watches -- Swatch and Tissot among them -- but am usually negligent in replacing the battery or watch strap, and so the watch just sits in my night table drawerm waiting to be serviced and then worn again.

 
At 6/30/06, 11:18 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Jack: I'll look for it.

Pearl: And this was the SECOND comment!

SWFM: Thanks!

Neal: Thanks and welcome. Your name is awfully familiar - did we meet in "real life"?

Where did I write I wasn't a fan of SW 1-3? Though it's mostly true: They are not bad, but they're definitely not on the level of the original trilogy.

 
At 6/30/06, 11:22 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Scottage: Sorry to skip you in my last comment, and welcome! I hadn't read your meme but I guess we both thought of the same song. It's Chicago by the way, not BST - though Chicago's first album did have a "big horn" sound not unlike BST's.

 
At 6/30/06, 3:36 PM, Blogger Neil Harris said...

There was a Neal Harris at YU when I was there (89-93). He was in the finance dept. When I went to Highland Park I use to stay with Fred and Anna Herman. They davened at OE. I also know Steve and Ann Cheryl White, but haven't spoken to Steve in like 10 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home