Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, February 02, 2006

10K - Hooray!!

OK, now I'm cheered up from this morning's JIB-rage. A few minutes ago, this blog had its - ta-daaah! - 10,000th visitor. It took just under 6-1/2 months, since I first enabled sitemeter five days after starting the blog, to reach this milestone.

As far back as I can remember, I have always loved numbers. Kids like me made the math-anxiety types cringe. My dad taught me basic algebra when I was about five - not that I understood it completely, but it was a start! I did logic puzzles for fun. My new passion - though I rarely have time for it - is Sudoku.

But my earliest memory of digital devotion relates to something very much akin to the blog sitemeter; namely, car odometers. My dad first pointed out the "changing car numbers" to me when I was four; in fact, on the very day that my brother was born. That same day, my dad's car odometer reached 10,000 miles. (I won't say which event was more significant to me at the time!)

For many years afterwards I used to look forward to being in the car for a "thousands number change" and especially for the really rare, momentous "ten-thousands number change". Once I remember my dad parking a couple of blocks away and walking the rest of the way home to get me, because the odometer was about hit a 10,000s change and he knew I wouldn't want to miss it! We walked back to the car together and the odometer hit its milestone as we drove home.

There is one important difference between odometers and sitemeters, though. As I noted a while back, the very act of accessing a blog bumps its site counter. Thus, only two individuals (or two browsers, anyway) will be able to see my counter when it reads exactly "10,000": the visitor who actually bumps it from 9999, and me, since I set sitemeter to ignore my own visits.

So thanks to all my readers for the your day to day support, and to the single special visitor who enabled me to reach this arithmetic achievement, this feat of figure, this triumph of tally! (Hey, do I do a good Stan Lee, or what?)

5 Comments:

At 2/2/06, 11:39 PM, Blogger Elder of Ziyon said...

Mazel tov!

 
At 2/3/06, 1:36 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Congratulations.
And I just passed 50000. That's not a gloat. It took me 16 months to reach 10000.

 
At 2/3/06, 9:20 AM, Blogger Elie said...

EoZ: Thanks!

David: Congrats to you on your fifth "ten thousands number change". And at least one major reason that it took you longer to reach 10K is obvious; you didn't have a "blogfather" friend with an established readership to link to you all the time; like I did. Thanks.

 
At 2/5/06, 9:30 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Elie,
Thank you for your kind words. But I'm hardly responsible for your success. It's your writing. (My mother only voted for me ahead of you because she's related!)
David

 
At 2/5/06, 9:15 PM, Blogger Shifra said...

Congrats the first 10K is a biggie!
I'm also a round numbers freak- when my car was about to hit 100,000 I took my kids out for a drive to watch it turn over and even brought the camera to take pictures!

My husband and I are new Sudoku addicts as well - even my 10 year old is into it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home