Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, December 22, 2005

What's Unorthodox Is Up To You

Following OrthoMom's lead, I had to pass along a link to this excellent quiz, which is courtesy of The 37th Tzaddik.

If you're curious, I scored as follows:

Left Wing Modern Orthodox: 63%
Right Wing Modern Orthodox: 89%
Left Wing Yeshivish/Chareidi: 43%
Right Wing Yeshivish/Chareidi: 4%

This means you're: Modern Orthodox

Once again, a quiz that tells me what I pretty much already knew!

If you're even more curious, my post title comes from a great fake ad I once read. Remember those Paco Rabanne men's cologne ads from the 80s with the tag line "...what's unconventional is up to you"? The parody was for a "Paco Rabinowitz" cologne and showed a chassidish-looking guy who was... let's just say in a non-tznius state of dress. The ad had the slogan:
Paco Rabinowitz. For the Orthodox Jewish male. What's unorthodox is up to you...

7 Comments:

At 12/22/05, 12:22 PM, Blogger Elie said...

The quiz warns that it's not really geared for the non-Ortho. Though I've also always felt that many people are Ortho in beliefs but may not toe the line in every practical area. Such as those that keep kosher/shabbos but cheat in business (or vice versa). But none of us are perfect, and I think it's the striving for self-improvement that's really important.

 
At 12/22/05, 12:33 PM, Blogger Elder of Ziyon said...

It had no clue what I was, which is good because I don't know either.

 
At 12/22/05, 5:57 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I showed up as MO, which I found pretty funny.

 
At 12/22/05, 10:09 PM, Blogger Attila said...

I didn't take the test. Somehow "belong to an orthodox shul" doesn't qualify.

But the idea of the 37th tzaddik reminds me that when I was in college, I had stationery printed up that read "International Council of Lamed-Vavniks." I don't think my grandmother ever got the joke.

 
At 12/23/05, 10:18 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

A Christian took the test at Parshablog and came out right wing Modern Orthdox.

 
At 12/23/05, 10:22 AM, Blogger Elie said...

I'm not surprised. A Catholic on Mirty's site came out MO. A bible-literalist Christian would probably come out "right wing yeshivish"! As I commented to Mirty above, this is really a test about hashkafa and not practice.

Though I would be interested in a followup test that does measure practice. Is Mr. 37th up for that one?

 
At 12/26/05, 5:19 PM, Blogger lamedzayin said...

maybe in a few weeks. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home