Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Football Comments, Channeling Max

"Missed It By That Much": The Indy Colts quest for a perfect season ended today, with their first loss after 13 wins coming to the mediocre Chargers. Must be gratifying to 72 Dolphins fans (which I am definitely not, given that they defeated my team in their first Superbowl bid) and to die-hard Baltimore Colts purists, who still resent their team being stolen away to Indy in the middle of the night, two decades ago.

"And Loving It!": Redskins over Cowboys, 35-7!!! They haven't beat up on their arch-rivals like this in a looong time! Three weeks ago, with the 'Skins having fallen to 5-6 and sinking fast, a sign went up in their locker room saying, simply, "5 and 0 or no go". They've now made it 3-5ths of the way, with two more crucial divisional games coming up. Hail Victory!

Good vs Evil: Hopefully, I'll be able to use this quote (and not this quote) when I find out the score of next week's game against The Team Who Shall Not Be Named. Unfortunately I will have to miss the game itself, since it's on Saturday at 1:00 pm! Looks like KAOS has taken over the NFL schedule. Will those rogues stop at nothing to destroy our civilization???

10 Comments:

At 12/18/05, 9:54 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

The Skins. You like the Skins. Say it is not so. Oy vey.

 
At 12/18/05, 10:12 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Hey, I grew up in Silver Spring, whaddaya expect? Besides it's not the first time I mentioned being a 'Skins fan. (Pay attention, there may be a test one of these days!)

 
At 12/18/05, 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are proud to be skins fans!!! Click here for our favorite song!!

http://www.haruth.com/RedskinsHailtotheRedskins.html

Elie's Kid Sister

 
At 12/18/05, 11:20 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Elie,

Have you been speaking with my wife/mother. If I paid attention I might actually take out the trash. ;)

Tova,

I have very fond memories of the 1984 Superbowl

 
At 12/19/05, 8:09 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Los Angeles, Los Angeles, hmmmm, now what's the name of their current team again? The Rams... no, they're St. Louis. The Raiders are Oakland... hmmm, I'm sure it'll come to me....

 
At 12/19/05, 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a die-hard Baltimore Colts purist, and it's wonderful that Indy lost yesterday. Now, which would be better - for the Indy Irsays to lose in the first round of the playoffs, or in the Superbowl?

And yes, we die-hard Baltimore Colts purists do hate the Redskins. It's nothing personal, but all we had on TV for the years that the NFL was AWOL from Baltimore was Redskins . . . ad nauseum.

Soccer Dad's former roommate

 
At 12/19/05, 4:03 PM, Blogger Elie said...

all we had on TV for the years that the NFL was AWOL from Baltimore was Redskins

SDFR: I hear your pain. Had the exact same problem with the Orioles when I lived in the Silver Spring and the Senators were no more. Once I moved to NJ and was no longer inundated with O's coverage, I got over my dislike for them - though I still don't root for them.

 
At 12/20/05, 1:05 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Elie,

The indication of a fan is not location of them relative to their team, as you can well attest to. Not that you could get there because if I am not mistaken you live in the only place in the world that uses jughandles because the drivers are left turn challenged. ;)

 
At 12/20/05, 8:34 AM, Blogger Elie said...

I've lived here 20 years and I still can't understand the point of jug-handles!

Though on a related note we once had a Chevy whose steering broke such that it could only make right turns, not left turns. I thought we could just keep it like that and figure out how to get places by only making rights. But there turned out to be a recall for that problem, so it didn't end up costing us anything to fix.

 
At 12/20/05, 1:53 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

My sister moved to Randolph around four years ago so it is still relatively new to me.

I just don't get it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home