Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Painful Donation

Today Ben, Shalom and I cleaned out Aaron's bedroom (~80%). I won't write much about that experience except to say that it was difficult, but not as unbearable as I thought it would be. The reminders of him in there may have been more concentrated, but such reminders are constant no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

One of the reasons I wanted to finally get to this today is that someone in town is collecting clothing for the Hurricane Katrina victims. We had the opportunity to donate ten large bags of Aaron's clothes, blankets, etc. Not only did this feel like the right thing to do in his memory, but it made the grueling work of seeing and handling his clothes again, itself feel like a kind of contribution. I guess I found a new meaning for the old adage, "give 'till it hurts".

2 Comments:

At 9/18/05, 8:27 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Although you and your family managed a most difficult task today, it was so much more than "just the right thing to do."

It was a WONDERFUL thing to do, to bestow on others basic necessities and clothing that your Aaron made use of. It's somewhat of a continuum of giving life to something, a rejuvenation of sorts. I'm sure all the items will be much appreciated, and this mitzvah is probably something your dear son would have initiated on his own!

 
At 9/19/05, 2:54 AM, Blogger Susan (Sara) Avitzour said...

Elie,

Please accept my profoundest sympathy for your loss. Cleaning out the room is one of the most painful times for any parent who has lost a child. It's so painful that there are parents who take years to do it - or who never do it. Like you, though, we cleared out Timmi's room fairly early on, and donated most of her things to charity. I'm still intending to write about giving away Timmi's things.

Thank you for your comment to my own blog. I'm glad you fianally dreamt of Aaron z"l, and hope you continue to do so in the future.

May you and your family be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

Sara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home