Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Blogging and Privacy

A recent post in OrthoMom about blogging and lashon hara has gotten me thinking about a somewhat related issue, blogging and privacy. Mirty was moved to write on a related subject a couple of months ago, at least partially, I believe, due to an email that I sent her off-list. As I start working on the next part of Aaron's Story, I'm thinking more about the ramifications of this issue.

Like most difficult questions, there are strong considerations on both sides. Many of us, at least part of the time, want - or need - the emotional release of writing about personal matters. However, these revelations may also touch upon others - spouses, children, families of origin - who may not want their personal information exposed in a public forum (no matter how few people might actually be reading!)

I'm not expecting, or even looking for, a pat answer to this dilemma. I am resigned to the fact that, as I did not choose to blog anonymously (for a variety of reasons), this will be a conflict I will constantly face. Like every blogger, I will find my own personal comfort zone along this continuum. I will choose my topics and words carefully, accepting that while there is much I can talk about here, there is some that - even though I might wish otherwise - I can not or will not. As Billy Joel said, we all have a face that we hide away forever - even in the blogosphere.

2 Comments:

At 9/21/05, 12:59 PM, Blogger -Ann said...

I've been living with my in-laws since June and if ever there was a need to vent, this would be it. But I hold myself back, because I fear my words living in cyberspace for all the rest of the family to see.

I've considered having a separate anonymous blog, but really, I have a hard enough time writing regularly in my "real" blog.

 
At 9/21/05, 4:13 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

It is a fine line to walk. At times I have intentionally changed the stories to protect the people in them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home