Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Mr. Atoz Meme

I've been tagged with the "A to Z" meme (thanks David for the excuse to write something light and fun for a change!), so here's Mr. Atoz himself to introduce my responses. Since this meme was going around last week when I was on Pesach vacation, I figure I'd better get cracking - or to quote Atoz himself: "You're very late! Where have you been??"

So, with no further ado:

Accent: USA mid-Atlantic, but not Joisey - or anywhere else where they bizarrely pronounce "gone" to rhyme with "con" instead of "lawn". Hearing the former pronunciation was one of the hardest adjustments of my marriage to a joisey goil!

Booze: Dry or semi-dry wine (red or white) on Shabbos, occasional beer during the week. Nothing stronger than beer or wine, pretty much ever.

Chore I Hate: Cleaning bathrooms

Dogs/Cats: One dog ever in my life, Sandy, a lhasa / maltese mix. We got her just two years ago, after 18+ years of Debbie's slow but persistent convincing! Read about it here.

Essential Electronics: Computer, cell phone. Still in the stone age regarding IPODs and the like. I do have a digital camera but haven't had the heart to use it much this year; Aaron was our chief family photog.

Favorite Perfume/Cologne:
I'm allergic to cologne or any fragrances so I never wear any. But whatever Debbie wears smells good on her.

Gold & Silver: All that is gold does not glitter.

Hometown: Born in New York City, but raised since age two in Silver Spring, MD, so I consider the latter my home town.

Insomnia: Mostly I sleep fairly well, considering. But whenever I have to get up by a certain fixed time, or have an unusually difficult decision on my mind, I toss and turn all night.

Job Title: Product Manager (telecom)

Kids: Sigh... that innocent question that makes Debbie and me cringe these days. Four; three of them still, thank God, with us.

Living Arrangements: Family home in the 'burbs of NJ - in a populous Jewish neighborhood, but on the fringe, not the "fishbowl" section. And that's how we like it.

Most Admired Trait: Verbal skills. Just think of me as a benign Saruman.

Number of Se[xual]parate P[artners]eople who altered, responded jokingly, or otherwise avoided the original question for this item: Pretty much everyone so far, so why should I be any different?

Overnight Hospital Stays: To get my tonsils out at age two, some growth testing at age 14, nothing to speak of since then.

Phobias: Ants and bees, all dogs except for Sandy (though admittedly less so since getting her).

Quotes: I have so many I like, but just two for now:

"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." - Eric Clapton

"I am what I am... and if there are self-made purgatories, then we all must live in them. Mine is no worse than someone else's." - Spock, Star Trek - "This Side of Paradise"

Religion: Jewish ritually and emotionally, if not always socially

Siblings: Younger brother David, younger sister Tova.

Time I Usually Wake Up:
~6:15 am on weekdays, later on Shabbos/Sunday depending on what minyan I'm going to. When I was in college I used to be able to sleep until 11:00 am every day. Boy I envy that guy!

Unusual Talent: Memorizing lines from my favorite movies/books. I guess that's not all that unusual for us geeks, but so be it.

Vegetable I Refuse To Eat: Tofu. If I even smell it I have to leave the room.

Worst Habit: Losing my cool during minor crises, like a messy spill. In (God forbid) real emergencies, I'm much better.

X-Rays: My foot - I broke the same little toe two or three times. That's what I get for running around the house barefoot.

Yummy Foods I Make:
Chicken, Chulent

Zodiac Sign:
Sagittarius

Most of the people I'd usually tag with this have done it already, but I'll tag Jerusalem Cop and Ruach MeMalelah.

3 Comments:

At 4/26/06, 1:31 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

A benign Saruman. Oy vey. When the boys got back to the Shire they found that old Saruman had still managed to make a mess of things.

 
At 4/26/06, 3:01 PM, Blogger Elie said...

True - but unlike Saruman, I never use my eloquence powers for selfish motives, only for the good of humanity. With great loquacity comes great responsibility.

 
At 5/2/06, 1:40 AM, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

didn't mean to offend you, but I didn't know I'd been tagged, missed this post earlier. When I tag people, I usually tgry and email them in case they missed that day's post.

Thanks

All the best

J.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home