Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, November 22, 2010

Musical Monday #165

Welcome to the 165th edition of Musical Monday, the (sometimes) weekly quiz that Soccer Dad and I (had) alternate(d) hosting. As Soccer Dad has suspended his blogging for the present, the future schedule of MM is somewhat in question. But meanwhile, the challenge today, as always, is to identify the title and artist of each song quote below, as well as the common theme of the entire set of songs.

This is a theme I've wanted to do for a long while, but hesitated because there are so many songs that are borderline matches for the theme, making my selections perhaps more subjective than I usually like. Hopefully my criteria won't seem too arbirtrary!

1) "Can't trust that day"
2) "I go back to the top of the slide"
3) "Mr. M.D."
4) "They long to persuade you from my side"
5) "But now I'm tired and I don't want to walk anymore"
6) "I swear it's not too late!"
7) "Knock down the old brick wall, and be a part of it all"
8) "And love so distant and obscure"
9) "In a world of persecution, that is burning in its greed"
10) "Here we go again, asking where I've been"
11) "You say why, and I say I don't know"
12) "On the wind that lifts her perfume through the air"
13) "Dance to the Eurobeat"
14) "Mary, have you seen better days?"
15) "And we're on our way, no we can't turn back"
16) "Mercy woman, plays a song and no one listens"
17) "Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist"
18) "We were just young and restless and bored"
19) "The purple piper plays his tune, the choir softly sing"
20) "The devil he told me to roll-oll-oll-oll"
21) "Always know sometimes think it's me"
22) "I don't wanna be a candidate for Vietnam or Watergate"
23) "She's a juvenile scam, never was a quitter"
24) "Some of them cries about it, some of them dies"
25) "Use your mentality, wake up to reality"
26) "Dinosaur Victrola"
27) "And they've chained him to a chair"
28) "When mountains crumble to the sea"
29) "And she gave Tchaikovsky back"
30) "The drummer relaxes and waits between shows"
31) "A requiem was never sung, no elegy was read"
32) "Don't let them say your hair's too long"
33) "Keep on doin' the jerk"
34) "All the right words but still you run away"
35) "…the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow"

Good luck and enjoy!

18 Comments:

At 11/22/10, 9:19 AM, Blogger SJ said...

1.Monday, Monday - The Mamas and the Papas
3. Good Lovin'
11. Hello, Goodbye - The Beatles
25. I’ve Got You Under My Skin - Frank Sinatra and others
28. Stand By Me

 
At 11/22/10, 10:01 AM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

3. "Good Lovin"--the Rascals
6. "Turn, Turn, Turn"--Pete Seeger? and the Byrds
21 "Strawberry Fields Forever"--Beatles
24. "Spoonfull"--Howlin' Wolf, Cream
30. "Cinnamon Girl"--Neil Young

 
At 11/22/10, 10:08 AM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

2. "Helter, Skelter"--the Beatles

 
At 11/22/10, 11:02 AM, Blogger Elie said...

RIght so far on all except #28. Also should have mentioned, in each case where there are multiple versions/covers of a song, I am lookimg for one in particular, usually but not necessarily the most popular or well-known.

 
At 11/22/10, 12:33 PM, Blogger LEL said...

1.Monday Monday-The Mammas and the Pappas.
2.Helter Skelter-The Beatles
3.Good Lovin'-Young Rascals
6.Turn Turn Turn-The Byrds
11.Hello Goodbye-The Beatles
12.Good Vibrations-The Beach Boys
17.Born to Run-Bruce Springsteen
21.Strawberry Fields Forever-The Beatles
22.Bicycle Race-Queen
24.Spoonful-Cream
28.Stand by Me-Ben E.King
or is it Thank You-Led Zeppelin

 
At 11/22/10, 12:44 PM, Anonymous Clayton said...

7 - No Matter Where You Are (?) - Badfinger - not at all sure of the title of this one...
9 - Question - The Moody Blues
18 - Night Moves - Bob Seger
29 - Rock 'N Roll is King - ELO
35 - I'm So Worried - Monty Python

 
At 11/22/10, 2:19 PM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

I'm just thinking about what sort of theme is suggested by the Beatle songs. Does it have something to do with how the tracks end? Strawberry Fields has this sort-of druggy disintegration at the end. Helter Skelter also falls apart rather than ending. Hello Goodbye has that chanted part at the end. I can't remember the final seconds.

 
At 11/22/10, 3:32 PM, Anonymous Clayton said...

26 - Lookin' Out My Back Door - CCR

LEL - I think you're right about 28 being "Thank You" (Elie has ruled out "Stand By Me").

 
At 11/22/10, 4:24 PM, Blogger LEL said...

18.Night Moves-Bob Seger

 
At 11/23/10, 12:04 PM, Blogger LEL said...

15.I looked at you-The Doors

 
At 11/23/10, 12:04 PM, Anonymous benjie said...

8 eric carmen - all by myself

 
At 11/26/10, 12:25 AM, Anonymous Clayton said...

Let's have a look-see here:

1) Monday, Monday - The Mamas and the Papas
2) Helter Skelter - The Beatles
3) Good Lovin' - The Rascals
4) "They long to persuade you from my side"
5) "But now I'm tired and I don't want to walk anymore"
6) Turn, Turn, Turn - The Byrds
7) No Matter What - Badfinger
8) All By Myself - Eric Carmen
9) Question - The Moody Blues
10) "Here we go again, asking where I've been"
11) Hello, Goodbye - The Beatles
12) Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
13) "Dance to the Eurobeat"
14) "Mary, have you seen better days?"
15) I Looked at You - The Doors
16) "Mercy woman, plays a song and no one listens"
17) Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
18) Night Moves - Bob Seger
19) "The purple piper plays his tune, the choir softly sing"
20) "The devil he told me to roll-oll-oll-oll"
21) Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles
22) Bicycle Race - Queen
23) "She's a juvenile scam, never was a quitter"
24) Spoonful - Cream
25) I've Got You Under My Skin - Frank Sinatra
26) Lookin' Out My Back Door - CCR
27) "And they've chained him to a chair"
28) Thank You - Led Zeppelin
29) Rock 'N Roll is King - ELO
30) Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
31) "A requiem was never sung, no elegy was read"
32) "Don't let them say your hair's too long"
33) "Keep on doin' the jerk"
34) "All the right words but still you run away"
35) I'm So Worried - Monty Python

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

 
At 11/26/10, 1:54 AM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

Thinking about some of the songs that others identified, I think my meditation on the theme is on the right track without quite pinning down the theme. Songs with false endings?

 
At 11/28/10, 2:05 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

19) In the court of the Crimson King - King Crimson (?)


I like Yitz's thought on the false endings.

Incidentally, there's a similar lyric to 28 in The Unforgettable Fire by U2.

 
At 11/28/10, 2:06 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

How did I miss 13?
Twisting by the Pool - Dire Straits

 
At 11/28/10, 6:46 PM, Blogger SJ said...

Songs that end with repeated lyrics?

 
At 12/26/10, 10:00 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Theme: Songs with false endings - i.e., songs that have one or more significant breaks (long silences), and then continue.

Songs:
1) "Can't trust that day" - "Monday Monday", The Mamas and The Papas
2) "I go back to the top of the slide" - "Helter Skelter", Beatles
3) "Mr. M.D." - "Good Lovin'", The Rascals
4) "They long to persuade you from my side" - "Bernadette", The Four Tops
5) "But now I'm tired and I don't want to walk anymore" - "River Of Dreams", Billy Joel
6) "I swear it's not too late!" - "Turn! Turn! Turn!", The Byrds
7) "Knock down the old brick wall, and be a part of it all" - "No Matter What", Badfinger
8) "And love so distant and obscure" - "All By Myself", Eric Carmen
9) "In a world of persecution, that is burning in its greed" - "Question", Moody Blues
10) "Here we go again, asking where I've been" - "Suspicious Minds", Elvis Presley
11) "You say why, and I say I don't know" - "Hello Goodbye", Beatles
12) "On the wind that lifts her perfume through the air" - "Good Vibrations", Beach Boys
13) "Dance to the Eurobeat" - "Dire Straits", Twisting By the Pool
14) "Mary, have you seen better days?" - "Only In Your Heart", America
15) "And we're on our way, no we can't turn back" - "I Looked at You", The Doors
16) "Mercy woman, plays a song and no one listens" - "Listen To The Band", The Monkees
17) "Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist" - "Born To Run", Bruce Springsteen
18) "We were just young and restless and bored" - "Night Moves", Bob Seger
19) "The purple piper plays his tune, the choir softly sing" - "The Court Of The Crimson King", King Crimson
20) "The devil he told me to roll-oll-oll-oll" - "Nobody's Fault But Mine", Led Zeppelin
21) "Always know sometimes think it's me" - "Strawberry Fields Forever", Beatles
22) "I don't wanna be a candidate for Vietnam or Watergate" - "Bicycle Race", Queen
23) "She's a juvenile scam, never was a quitter" – "The Look", Roxette
24) "Some of them cries about it, some of them dies" - "Spoonful", Cream
25) "Use your mentality, wake up to reality" - "I've Got You Under My Skin", Four Seasons
26) "Dinosaur Victrola" - "Lookin' Out My Back Door", Creedence Clearwater Revival
27) "And they've chained him to a chair" - "Chicago", CSNY
28) "When mountains crumble to the sea" - "Thank You", Led Zeppelin
29) "And she gave Tchaikovsky back" - "Rock N Roll Is King", ELO
30) "The drummer relaxes and waits between shows" - "Cinnamon Girl", Neil Young
31) "A requiem was never sung, no elegy was read" - "Nobody's Home", Kansas
32) "Don't let them say your hair's too long" - "I Got You Babe", Sonny & Cher
33) "Keep on doin' the jerk" - "Keep On Dancing", The Gentrys
34) "All the right words but still you run away" - "Let Me", Paul Revere & The Raiders
35) "…about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow" - "I'm So Worried", Monty Python

 
At 8/26/14, 3:04 AM, Anonymous Website Design Company said...

Zinavo Technologies have a well trained and experienced designers with having ability to design the perfect template designs to every websites.
Web Design Company | Web Designing Companies

 

Post a Comment

<< Home