Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, August 17, 2009

Musical Monday #106

Welcome to the 106th edition of Musical Monday, the weekly quiz that Soccer Dad and I alternate hosting. As always, the challenge is to identify the title and artist of each song quote below, as well as the common theme of the entire set of songs.

If it were a couple of days ago, the obvious theme for this edition would be the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, but I'd guess by now, practically everyone has heard their share of Woodstock tunes and recollections on the radio and TV. So I went elsewhere, to a relevant, but quite a bit less obvious theme. Extra credit to whomever guesses my reason (or comes up with a better one again!) for using the theme this week.

1) "After all I'm forever in your debt"
2) "And you're afraid to let your eyes meet mine"
3) "But it's wisdom born of pain"
4) "Be back before it melts in the pan"
5) "I can sense your needs, like rain on to the seeds"
6) "Over night scenes, dinner and wine, Saturday girls"
7) "It's not so much your pretty face I see"
8) "You'd be weak as a lamb"
9) "She don't give the boys the eye"
10) "Is throw shadows at you"
11) "This is the only way that we should fly"
12) "Temptation falls in your path, no hesitation why you ask"
13) "Oh shucks, I'm just an average guy"
14) "You didn't have to leave me with that beer in my face"
15) "Yes, don't turn your back on me, baby"
16) "There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in"
17) "I can see me a tall dark stranger, giving you what you hadn't planned"
18) "Crazy laughter in another room"
19) "Pick up the pieces and go home"
20) "Sparkle someone else’s eyes"
21) "I don't want much, the good Lord's earth beneath my feet"
22) "Let’s change the mood from glad to sadness"
23) "Rising from the neon gloom, shining like a crazy moon"
24) "I look in your eyes, just like the rain"
25) "Like a country mornin', all snuggled in dew"
26) "I've been livin' on a dead-end street"
27) "Are you lonely just like me?"
28) "Sitting in a nest of bad men"
29) "When your conscience hits, you knock it back with pills"
30) "Time goes by and you're sharing an apartment"
31) "I know many fine feathered friends"
32) "Rags, the sailor's only daughter, a child of the water"
33) "There was a time when you needed someone to count on"
34) "But if they get a chance they'll end it for sure"
35) "I turn away from the wall, I stumble and fall"
36) "There's a band of gold that shines waiting"
37) "He'd give up all his comfort, sleep out in the rain"
38) "And every time it happens, it just convinces me more"
39) "Hear every thought, see every dream"
40) "With her fog, her amphetamine and her pearls"
41) "I ain't gonna act politically correct"
42) "When my soul was in the lost-and-found"
43) "Never runnin' in the streets, leavin' me alone"
44) "She can make the birds sing harmony"
45) "In the government yard in trenchtown"

Good luck and enjoy!

34 Comments:

At 8/17/09, 2:20 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

1) Woman - John Lennon

3) I am woman - Helen Reddy

7) You are the woman - Firefall

Happy 25th Anniversary Elie and Debbie!

:-)

 
At 8/17/09, 2:22 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

19) Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac

37) When a man loves a woman - Percy Sledge and *gag* Michael Bolton

And make that 24th. What do you think I am, a math major?

Why am I only getting the prime numbered ones?

 
At 8/17/09, 2:22 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Thank you!! (Actually our 24th anniversary, but we'll count one more for good luck!)

It wasn't the reason for the theme though - couldn't expect anyone (else) to know...

 
At 8/17/09, 2:24 PM, Blogger Elie said...

What do you think I am, a math major?

Umm, yes? :-)

It's actually a big mathematical debate whether "1" is a prime...

 
At 8/17/09, 2:24 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

44) Ain't no woman (like the one I got) - The Four Tops

"'cause it's my word she obeys."
Good choice :-)

 
At 8/17/09, 2:52 PM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

14. Don't know the title--Led Zeppelin
18. "Witchy Woman"--Eagles
20 "American Woman"--Guess Who
22. "LA Woman"--Doors
23. "My Woman from Tokyo"--Deep Purple
27. "Pretty Woman"--Roy Orbison
29. Heartbreaker (Livin lovin maid she's just a woman) (That's an approximation of the title)--Led Zeppelin
40. "Just like a woman"--Bob Dylan
45. "No woman no cry"--Bob Marley

 
At 8/17/09, 3:00 PM, Anonymous Clayton said...

10 - She's Always a Woman - Billy Joel
20 - American Woman - The Guess Who
26 - Sweet Talkin' Woman - ELO
28 - Long Cool Woman In a Black Dress - The Hollies
29 - Livin' Lovin' Maid (She's Just a Woman) - Led Zeppelin
30 - Modern Woman - Billy Joel
45 - No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley

Happy anniversary!

 
At 8/17/09, 3:03 PM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

9. "She's a Woman"--Beatles
15. "Black Magic Woman"--Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Santana

 
At 8/17/09, 3:09 PM, Blogger trn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8/17/09, 3:10 PM, Blogger trn said...

15) Black Magic Woman
16) The Beatles
42) Natural Woman, Carole King

 
At 8/17/09, 3:13 PM, Blogger trn said...

Soccer Dad, thank you for making me giggle.

Happy anniversary, Elie!

Twenty-four is one of my favorite numbers.

I hold that one is not a prime number.

 
At 8/17/09, 3:25 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

35) Woman in Love - Barbara Streisand (with Barry Gibb)

 
At 8/17/09, 3:26 PM, Blogger trn said...

Did women get the vote in 1919? That would make this year the 90th anniversary, but I don't know whether it was at this time of year.

 
At 8/17/09, 3:40 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

TRN,

I think you're correct about Women's suffrage. (If so, Elie should have included "Jet" and I suppose "Suffragette City" too! :-)

There was time it was submitted to Congress and the time that it passed. (Was it the 19th amendment?) So there were more than one appropriate date.

 
At 8/17/09, 3:53 PM, Anonymous Clayton said...

How about Joe Walsh's "Vote for Me"? :)

 
At 8/17/09, 4:12 PM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

14. is maybe called "Country Woman" or something like that? It is on Physical Grafitti, I think.

 
At 8/17/09, 4:39 PM, Anonymous Clayton said...

Yitzchak: Is it "Black Country Woman"? They have a song with that title but I don't know what album it's originally from (I only have it in a box set).

16 - Evil Woman - ELO

 
At 8/17/09, 7:45 PM, Blogger LEL said...

1.Woman-John Lennon
4.I'm a Woman
9.She's a Woman-The Beatles
20.American Woman-The Guess Who
22.LA Woman-The Doors
27.Pretty Woman-Roy Orbison
29.Living Loving Maid(She's just a woman)-Led Zeppelin
32.Hard Luck Woman-Kiss
37.When a man loves a woman-Percy Sledge
42.You make me feel like a natural woman-Aretha Franklin

 
At 8/17/09, 9:40 PM, Blogger LEL said...

15.Black Magic Woman-Santana

 
At 8/18/09, 1:46 AM, Blogger LEL said...

14.Black Country Woman-Led Zeppelin

 
At 8/18/09, 11:11 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

I should have realized it from the lyrics, but Elie also has a sometimes pattern (also I included 1 and 2 in MM #99).

2) Woman, Woman - Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.

(If I hadn't gotten it, Gail would have!)

Now I wonder if he included Barbara Mandrell's Woman to Woman?

 
At 8/18/09, 11:16 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Oh and isn't there W-O-M-A-N that was remade by Diana Muldaur? (I forget who did the original, but I bet it's included here. Could it be 4?)

 
At 8/18/09, 2:46 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Ignore that previous, comment, I realized that it's not "W-O-M-A-N", but as Laura noted "I'm a woman." So the only question remains is who sang the original.

 
At 8/18/09, 3:53 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

38) When you're in love with a beautiful woman - Dr. Hook (Ray Sawyer) - I believe without his Medicine Show

 
At 8/18/09, 4:59 PM, Anonymous Clayton said...

34 - Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon - the version I have is by Urge Overkill from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, but I'm pretty sure it's a cover.

 
At 8/18/09, 5:10 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Clayton, Neil Diamond sang it, but I'm not sure that he was the original.

I remember someone joking that Roman Polanski sang it.

 
At 8/18/09, 11:50 PM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

Here's a few bonuses:

A. "You got 16 lovely children/No proud father knocking at your door."

B. "We both been there before, before"

C. "Call to the fish today/
See what he has to say."

 
At 8/19/09, 12:12 AM, Blogger trn said...

Anyone know the lyrics to the Wonder Woman theme? (Are there any?)

 
At 8/20/09, 3:03 PM, Anonymous Clayton said...

How about an update?

1) Woman - John Lennon
2) Woman, Woman - Gary Puckett and the Union Gap
3) I Am Woman - Helen Reddy
4) I'm a Woman - ?
5) "I can sense your needs, like rain on to the seeds"
6) "Over night scenes, dinner and wine, Saturday girls"
7) You Are the Woman - Firefall
8) "You'd be weak as a lamb"
9) She's a Woman - The Beatles
10) She's Always a Woman - Billy Joel
11) "This is the only way that we should fly"
12) "Temptation falls in your path, no hesitation why you ask"
13) "Oh shucks, I'm just an average guy"
14) Black Country Woman - Led Zeppelin
15) Black Magic Woman - Fleetwood Mac, Santana
16) Evil Woman - ELO
17) "I can see me a tall dark stranger, giving you what you hadn't planned"
18) Witchy Woman - The Eagles
19) Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac
20) American Woman - The Guess Who
21) "I don't want much, the good Lord's earth beneath my feet"
22) L.A. Woman - The Doors
23) My Woman From Tokyo - Deep Purple
24) "I look in your eyes, just like the rain"
25) "Like a country mornin', all snuggled in dew"
26) Sweet Talkin' Woman - ELO
27) Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
28) Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress - The Hollies
29) Livin' Lovin' Maid (She's Just a Woman) - Led Zeppelin
30) Modern Woman - Billy Joel
31) "I know many fine feathered friends"
32) Hard Luck Woman - KISS
33) "There was a time when you needed someone to count on"
34) Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon - Urge Overkill, Neil Diamond
35) Woman in Love - Barbra Streisand with Barry Gibb
36) "There's a band of gold that shines waiting"
37) When a Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge, *gag* Michael Bolton
38) When You're In Love With a Beautiful Woman - Dr. Hook
39) "Hear every thought, see every dream"
40) Just Like a Woman - Bob Dylan
41) "I ain't gonna act politically correct"
42) You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman - Carole King, Aretha Franklin
43) "Never runnin' in the streets, leavin' me alone"
44) Ain't No Woman (Like the One I Got) - The Four Tops
45) No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley

And the bonuses:
A. "You got 16 lovely children/No proud father knocking at your door."
B. "We both been there before, before"
C. "Call to the fish today/See what he has to say."

 
At 8/20/09, 4:13 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Thanks Clayton, but you didn't need to reproduce my *gag* for Michael Bolton. :-)

I guess the title of 37 will have the words Woman and Love in it.

8, I assume would have You or She in it.

 
At 8/23/09, 1:33 PM, Anonymous Clayton said...

17 - Devil Woman - Cliff Richard

 
At 8/24/09, 12:38 AM, Anonymous Clayton said...

11 - More Than A Woman - The Bee Gees

 
At 9/12/09, 6:09 PM, Anonymous Clayton said...

21 - Kentucky Woman - Neil Diamond

 
At 10/17/09, 11:36 PM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

My bonuses for MM 106:

A. "Every Hungry Woman"--Allman Brothers
B. "Dark Eyed Woman"--Spirit
C. "Water Woman"--Spirit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home