Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, February 16, 2009

Home, Again

"It's so far and out of sight..."
- Carole King

Thanks to Yitzchak, Soccer Dad, Gail, Clayton, Jack, Laura, SJ, ral315, and benjie (and I missed TRN this time!), for your participation in last week's Musical Monday #80! Together, you ID'ed 22 out of 38 songs, and Gail was the first to get the theme, which was songs titles that mention "home". Nice job, all!

Before providing the rest of the answers, I'd like to wax nostalgic for a moment (well, nostalgic has been getting a bit scuffed! :-}) on the significance of this particular MM topic to me. This is actually a remake of a musical theme I visited nearly 28 years ago, back in my college days, when I hosted a weekly show on our radio station: "WYUR - The Voice of Yeshiva University" (now online!). This was, as far as I remember, the first themed installment of my radio show that I ever did, and thus the earliest ancestor of my Musical Monday quizzes of today! (And guess who else also had a show on WYUR back then?)

After posting MM #80, I spent some time going through my boxes of college papers in the attic, until finally I unearthed the original playlist for that old show! My musical tastes were still developing in those days, and conversely, my interpretation of the theme was quite a bit broader on that radio show than in this MM. Thus, I included songs that referred - even fleetingly- to the general ideas of "homecoming", "returning", or "traveling".

Anyway, for those who are interested, here (not in the order played, which is lost to posterity) are the songs that appeared on my playlist for that radio program back in 1981:

- Beatles - Golden Slumbers
- Beatles - The Two Of US
- Beatles - Ticket to Ride
- Billy Joel - Traveling Prayer
- Billy Joel - Everybody's Got A Dream
- S&G - Homeward Bound
- Jackson Browne - The Road
- Supertramp - Take The Long Way Home
- Foreigner - Long, Long Way From Home
- Eddie Money - Two Tickets To Paradise
- Carole King - So Far Away
- Carole King - Home Again
- Beach Boys - Sloop John B
- Blues Brothers - B Movie
- Eagles - Already Gone
- John Denver - Take Me Home Country Roads
- Dave Loggins - Please Come To Boston
- Tony Orlando - Tie a Yellow Ribbon
- Paul Simon - My Little Town
- Santana - Going Home [How'd I miss that one for this MM?]
- Barry Manilow - Home Again
- James Taylor - Hello Old Friend

And now, the solutions for this MM #80. There's a few overlaps with my old show, but not very many!
1) "Meeting a man from the motor trade" - "She's Leaving Home", Beatles
2) "Indiana's early morning dew" - "You're My Home", Billy Joel
3) "Tension was running high at my high school" - "My Hometown", Bruce Springsteen
4) "I started to believe that I was born at seventeen" - "Home Town", Joe Jackson
5) "And looked into the empty faces of the people of the night" - "New York's Not My Home", Jim Croce
6) "Watergate does not bother me" - "Sweet Home Alabama", Lynyrd Skynyrd
7) "One and one is two, six and two is eight" - "Sweet Home Chicago", Blues Brothers
8) "Coming out the woodwork, through the open door" - "Home By The Sea", Genesis
9) "A discouraging word" - "Home On The Range", Traditional
10) "Listen close to the guitar man" - "Homesick", Atlanta Rhythm Section
11) "Watch the parking meters" - "Subterranean Homesick Blues", Bob Dylan
12) "I got elastic bands keepin' my shoes on" - "Nobody Home", Pink Floyd
13) "A requiem was never sung, no elegy was read" - "Nobody's Home", Kansas
14) "I'm in no hurry baby, time can wait" - "I Don't Want to Go Home", Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes
15) "I was a gypsy lost in the twilight zone" - "Who Says You Can't Go Home", Bon Jovi
16) "I'll play the game and pretend" - "Homeward Bound", Simon & Garfunkel
17) "Times have changed and times are strange" - "Mama I'm Coming Home", Ozzy Osbourne
18) "Tryin' to love me baby, love some other man too" - "Bring It On Home", Led Zeppelin
19) "I'll give you jewelry, money too" - "Bring It On Home To Me", Sam Cooke, etc.
20) "Take that look of worry, I'm an ordinary man" - "Take Me Home", Phil Collins
21) "I can feel your heartbeat faster" - "Take Me Home Tonight", Eddie Money
22) "I'll show you sweet delight" - "Let Me Take You Home Tonight", Boston
23) "Life is old there, older than the trees" - "Take Me Home Country Roads", John Denver
24) "You take a trip to the city lights" - "Take The Long Way Home", Supertramp
25) "The millions of faces, but still I'm alone" - "Long, Long Way From Home", Foreigner
26) "I could smell the same deep green of summer" - "Long Walk Home", Bruce Springsteen
27) "Come down off your throne" - "Can't Find My Way Home", Blind Faith
28) "On land or sea or foam" - "Show Me the Way to Go Home", Traditional
29) "Why does every moment have to be so hard?" - "Won't Go Home Without You", Maroon 5
30) "I've got no time for trivialities" - "When I Get Home", The Beatles
31) "Where the lovelight gleams" - "I'll Be Home For Christmas", Bing Crosby et al
32) "Am I in my cabin dreaming?" - "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)", Grand Funk Railroad
33) "Traveling where the Westerly winds can fly" - "Celebrate Me Home", Kenny Loggins
34) "Belief over misery, I've seen the enemy" - "This is Home", Switchfoot
35) "And the pain you feel's a different kind of pain" - "Home", Daughtry
36) "Take me to your heart, feel me in your bones" - "Home Sweet Home", Motley Crue
37) "I'll milk those cows, feed the chickens and the horses" - "Back Home", Beach Boys
38) "Snow is cold, rain is wet" - "Home Again", Carole King

Thanks again all! MM #81 was already posted today at Soccer Dad, and look for #82 back here on 2/23.

3 Comments:

At 2/16/09, 11:35 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I like the playlist.

 
At 2/17/09, 9:08 AM, Blogger Elie said...

As an additional connection/twist: My co-DJ for that radio show, as well as my then roommate at YU, is now a Rabbi in the state which is the subject of song #23!

 
At 2/19/09, 7:30 PM, Blogger trn said...

I am sorry to have missed out, but I am glad to have been missed. Thank you so much, Elie.

I enjoyed this nostalgic post, the dual portraits of you, one twenty-eight years ago as a YU student and DJ first becoming friends with Soccer Dad, the other of you now up in your attic pouring over memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home