Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Farewell to Khaaaannnn!


Actor Ricardo Montalban passed away yesterday at the age of 89. Best known to 70s TV fans as the serene and slightly mysterious proprietor of Fantasy Island, he'll always be remembered by us Trekkers for a slightly more volatile role in his long and successful acting career!

Hopefully, the actor's final words were a bit more positive than Khan's (or Ahab's). RIP Ricardo Montalban, and Vaya con Dios.

7 Comments:

At 1/15/09, 3:02 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

that guy was a real class act.

 
At 1/15/09, 3:03 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

oh yeah, obligatory caption:

THERE SHE ISSSS!!!

Not so wounded as we were led to believe...so much the better...

 
At 1/15/09, 3:20 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Great line, as well as his Moby Dick quotes. But my favorite Khan line from TWOK was:

"He tasks me! He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!"

Montalban's delivery here was beyond awesome.

 
At 1/16/09, 1:01 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

David Pinto at Baseball Musings used the same title!

I laugh at the superior intellect. Remember how important that movie was to me at the time, and how insignificant it is now?

(Still a great movie, but I think you know what I'm talking about.)

 
At 1/16/09, 1:13 PM, Blogger Elie said...

(Yes, I do.)

I think there was a time in most of our lives when movies, or fantasy in general, played a much more important role than they do now.

But to echo your "Still", TWOK is *still* one of the best movies I've ever seen. Besides its strengths in all the basic areas that make any film good - plot, writing, pacing, characterization, acting, etc. - I always felt it was the only TOS movie that really, fully "got it right". This is particularly true in terms of the character of Spock, which was so central to the show's dynamic. From ST-IV and onwards, something was definitely off, or missing, in Nimoy's portrayal. Almost like the real Spock did actually, irrevocably, die at the end of TWOK.

 
At 1/18/09, 9:46 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

That was a sad scene when we lost Spock.

 
At 1/22/09, 3:32 AM, Blogger Kylopod said...

Everybody loves a great villain. For example, I've heard that Margaret Hamilton was a very nice lady in real life, and great with kids. That never surprised me: to play a role as juicy as the Wicked Witch of the West, and do it as well as she did, you probably need to have that quality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home