TV Trivia Thursday #17
Today is, of course, one of tragic remembrance, where the trivial may seem out of place. Yet as I have learned, in times of genuine sorrow, distraction can be as important as recollection, and laughter is truly, as the saying goes, not only the best medicine, but sometimes the only one that helps at all. And so, since I've already missed a couple of weeks in a row, here are a few TV quiz questions to help us all though this most un-trivial of anniversaries:
1) This actor turned down the opportunity to reprise his best-known character in a sequel , fearing that he would be typecast in the role - only to accept a similar role in another series just three months later! Name the actor and both series.
2) What beloved 1960s series originated as an episode of The Danny Thomas Show?
3) A few weeks ago, we discussed Bob Barker's record of the most consecutive years on television. Which colleague of his set a similar record, in 2004, for the most total hours before a TV camera?
4) What talk show host famously walked off his own set in protest for having a joke censored, only to sheepishly return a few weeks later?
5) Name a recurring character who was common to both Second City TV and Saturday Night Live.
6) What prolific filmmaker had his industry debut in 1969 directing the pilot episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery?
7) What 1997 series became television's very first hour-long sitcom?
8) The world's oldest and longest-running sports show began in 1952 and is still going strong. Name the series and its country of origin (hint: not the USA!)