Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Quar-Tar Century

Just a quick note that today marks 25 years since the infamous Pine Tar Game between the New York Yankees and Kansas City Royals, in which George Brett - as a sportswriter quipped at the time - became the first player ever to hit a game-losing home run! I remember watching this game when it was actually occurring, and I don't think I've ever before - or since - seen anyone get quite as angry as Brett did. At someone who isn't their teenage child, I mean of course.

The overly sticky bat that Brett used is now enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame, as is the man himself - deservedly so. Lifelong Yankee fan that I am, in this case I couldn't in good conscience root for Billy Martin's shenanigans to pay off. And the baseball powers that be agreed, making this incident fairly unique in another way - reversal by League officials of an umpire's decision on the field.

Hard to believe it was that long ago!

2 Comments:

At 7/25/08, 12:41 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

After reading this it occurred to me that 3 weeks and 25 years ago was another landmark game for the Yankees.

Wait til August 24. I think.

 
At 7/29/08, 5:20 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

George Brett was a hell of a player.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home