Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Friday, July 18, 2008

First Knight

Did something a bit crazy last night - or to be exact, very early today, which is sort of the point. Anyway, Ben, Shalom and I went to a 12:02 am showing of the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight. We didn't get home until about 3:00 am, so I'm a more than a bit sleepy today.

Without giving away any plot points, I'll say two things about TDK. Firstly, it was, by a comfortable margin, the best superhero movie I've ever seen - and there's some reasonably stiff competition for that title. Secondly - and I say this in full disclosure of the fact that in any given year, I have rarely seen more than one or two of the five Academy Award nominated films in any major category. But be that as may, this year's best actor Oscar should unquestionably be given - posthumously - to Heath Ledger. His ecstatically psychotic Joker not only exceeded the worthy rendition of that role given by Jack Nicholson two decades ago, and not only completely stole the show from the movie's marginally less insane title character. It was a compelling, riveting, and I'd even say utterly flawless acting performance. I literally found myself in awe, and see new plausibility to the rumors that Ledger's - officially accidental - drug-overdose death in January was somehow connected with his over-absorption into the twisted psyche of his final cinematic role.

To end on a happier note, besides seeing a great movie, one positive result of last night's cinematic expedition was an uncharacteristic role that I got to play. All us parents know that we wear many hats, some more commonly than others. I'm quite used to being the "service provider" dad, the "fountain of knowledge" dad, the "conflict resolution" dad, and unfortunately all-too-often, the "disciplinarian" dad. But I rarely get to be the "cool" dad, the dad your kids always claim all their friends have. Last night, for once, I was that dad - and it felt good.

9 Comments:

At 7/18/08, 1:50 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

I hated Jack Nicholson's Joker. But then I don't much like Jack Nicholson as an actor. (The Joker was not Joe Chill!)

I doubt that we'll get to see it in theater, but maybe we'll rent it when it's available.

 
At 7/18/08, 1:58 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I can't wait to see it.

 
At 7/18/08, 4:22 PM, Blogger Leora said...

My boys are quite anxious to see this flick. Eldest gets to see it on Monday, but middle one heads for camp that day...he's so sad...

 
At 7/18/08, 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing I forgot to mention - I think this is the first time since college - if then - that I've been in a completely sold out movie. We purchased tickets in advance and got to the theatre 1/2 hour early, but already the only seats we could get together were in the third row from the front!

 
At 7/18/08, 5:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey you'll always be the cool big brother in my eyes!!

 
At 7/20/08, 7:04 PM, Blogger Elder of Ziyon said...

But would you have been the "cool dad" if Sunday wasn't the 17th of Tammuz? :)

 
At 7/21/08, 9:30 AM, Blogger Elie said...

EoZ: Admittedly, it's less likely, since I definitely wouldn't have gone on 17 Tammuz itself... though I'm not quite as strict about seeing movies during sefira/3 weeks overall. But I might have anyway! After all, TDK did set records for biggest opening night, day and week!

 
At 7/22/08, 12:23 PM, Blogger trn said...

That you did that with Ben and Shalom is really cool. I am sure it will be a meaningful memory for each of you for years to come.

 
At 7/22/08, 3:12 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I thought that Ledger was outstanding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home