Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, March 03, 2008

Musical Monday #36

Welcome to the 36th edition of Musical Monday, the weekly quiz that Soccer Dad and I alternate hosting. Or to be exact, this week's MM is one of our periodic collaborations, so credit due to SD for co-creation of the following.

As always, identify songs' artists and titles, as well as the common theme, topic, or characteristic that applies to the entire set of songs.

1) "Golden living dreams of visions"
2) "Time doesn't wait for me, it keeps on rollin'"
3) "You're a bluebird on a telegraph line"
4) "Now I'm fallin' from her skies"
5) "At night he becomes a bartender"
6) "But your hand's wet with sweat, and your head needs a rest"
7) "Oh, don't ask why!"
8) "It’s driving me mad, it’s driving me mad"
9) "With the butler and the maid and the servants three"
10)"I pound on the windows like a bee inside a jar"
11)"The boats were waiting at the Battery"
12)"Feeding pigeons on a limb"
13)"You give back your ring to me, and I will set you free"
14)"It's something in my eyes, you know it happens every time"
15)"Tell her to make me a cambric shirt"
16)"Some say he farmed his best in younger years"
17)"Shadows on the hills sketch the trees and the daffodils"
18)"From the early, early mornin' 'til the early, early nights"
19)"I had another look and I had a cup of tea and butter pie"
20)"I know between the two of us, her heart we can steal" (Note: Looking for a specific version of this song)
21)"Them boys in their high heels"
22)"Cook county sheriff Richard Ogleby asked King to call off the march"
23)"Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"
24)"Am I in my cabin dreaming, or are you really scheming?"

Good luck and enjoy!

10 Comments:

At 3/3/08, 12:43 PM, Blogger LEL said...

5.Movin'out(Anthony's song)-Billy Joel
11.Miami 2017-Billy Joel
13.Anna(go to him)-The Beatles
19.Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey-Paul McCartney
21.Asbury Park, Fourth of July (Sandy)-Bruce Springsteen
23.Meatloaf
The theme is songs with subtitles.

 
At 3/3/08, 1:13 PM, Blogger LEL said...

2.Foreplay/Longtime-Boston

 
At 3/3/08, 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3. Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John
6. Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man) - Styx
7. Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar) - The Doors
9. Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman) - Led Zeppelin
14. Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels) - Jim Croce
16. Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny) - Elton John
23. You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night) - Meat Loaf

-- Clayton

 
At 3/3/08, 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

18. Devil With The Blue Dress / Good Golly Miss Molly - Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
24. I'm Your Captain / Closer To Home - Grand Funk Railroad

-- Clayton

 
At 3/3/08, 4:33 PM, Blogger SS said...

15. Canticle/Scarborough Fair - Simon and Garfunkel

 
At 3/3/08, 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

22. 7 O'Clock News / Silent Night - Simon & Garfunkel

-- Clayton

 
At 3/3/08, 10:10 PM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

8. I want you (She's so heavy)-- Beatles

 
At 3/3/08, 10:20 PM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

I couldn't figure out how "Good Golly Miss Molly" fit the theme. Now that somebody supplied the answer, I understand.

 
At 3/3/08, 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of, I've realized that I got that title slightly wrong, and it's bugging me. It should actually be "Devil With A Blue Dress On / Good Golly Miss Molly"...

-- Clayton

 
At 3/7/08, 3:41 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Great job, Lel, Clayton, SS, and Yitzchak, and thanks again to co-creator Soccer Dad! The topic was close to the one suggested by LEL, but to be exact, it was songs with multiple titles. Thus, some of these (e.g., #s 1-3) are more properly multi-song medleys than subtitled single songs, but in all cases, these songs are listed on their respective albums as one track with two titles. Conversely, we did not include examples like Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions", since they are shown on the album as separate tracks with separate lengths, even though DJs invariably tend to play them together.

The complete list of answers:
1) “Golden living dreams of visions”
- Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In, The 5th Dimension
2) "Time doesn't wait for me, it keeps on rollin' "
- Foreplay/Long Time, Boston
3) "You're a bluebird on a telegraph line"
- Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, Elton John
4) " Now I'm fallin' from her skies"
- No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature, The Guess Who
5) "At night he becomes a bartender"
- Movin Out / Anthony's Song, Billy Joel
6) "But your hand's wet with sweat and your head needs a rest"
- Fooling Yourself / The Angry Young Man, Styx
7) "Oh, don't ask why"
- Alabama Song / Whisky Bar, Doors
8) "It’s driving me mad, it’s driving me mad"
- I Want You / She's So Heavy, The Beatles
9) " With the butler and the maid and the servants three"
- Living Loving Maid / She's Just a Woman, Led Zeppelin
10) "I pound on the windows like a bee inside a jar"
- Anxiety / Get Nervous, Pat Benatar
11) " The boats were waiting at the Battery"
- Miami 2017 / Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway, Billy Joel
12) "Feeding pigeons on a limb"
- The Mighty Quinn / Quinn The Eskimo, Bob Dylan
13) "You give back your ring to me, and I will set you free"
- Anna / Go To Him, Beatles
14) "It's something in my eyes, you know it happens every time"
- Operator / That's Not the Way It Feels, Jim Croce
15) "Tell her to make me a cambric shirt"
- Scarborough Fair / Canticle, Simon & Garfunkel
16) "Some say he farmed his best in younger years"
- Empty Garden / Hey, Hey Johnny, Elton John
17) "Shadows on the hills sketch the trees and the daffodils"
- Vincent / Starry, Starry Night, Don Mclean
18) "From the early, early mornin' 'til the early, early nights"
- Devil With a Blue Dress On / Good Golly Miss Molly, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
19) "I had another look and I had a cup of tea and butter pie"
- Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey, Wings
20) "I know between the two of us, Her heart we can steal"
- Cupid / I've Loved You For A Long Time, The Spinners
21) "Them boys in their high heels"
- 4th of July, Asbury Park / Sandy, Bruce Springsteen
22) "Cook county sheriff Richard Ogleby asked King to call off the march"
- Silent Night / 7 O'Clock News, Simon & Garfunkel
23) "Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"
- You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth / Hot Summer Night, Meat Loaf
24) "Am I in my cabin dreaming, or are you really scheming?"
- I'm Your Captain / Closer To Home, Grand Funk Railroad

Thanks again! Look for MM #37 on 3/10 at Soccer Dad, with MM #38 back here on 3/17.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home