Musical Monday #34
Welcome to the 34th edition of Musical Monday, the weekly quiz that Soccer Dad and I alternate hosting. Happy President's Day to my US readers, and though today's MM is not quite presidential timber (but then, who is these days? :-) ), it is a bit out of the ordinary. So please read the following before you start guessing.
As always, the goal is to identify the title and artist of each song, as well as the common theme of the overall quiz, but today there's an extra puzzle as well - pairing off the songs. Although there is only a single theme this week, there are three separately-numbered groups of song quotes. The first group of five, numbered I-V, stand alone. The next twenty, numbered 1-20, can be matched up with the last twenty, numbered A-T, though not in order of course. But if you figure out why the first five songs are special, that should help you with the theme and with how to match up the other two sets.
One more important rule/clue: You can ignore plurals as well as definite articles in finding the pairs.
Confused? Well then just start with ID'ing lyrics as usual, and hopefully all will fall into place!
I) "Behind a gun I'll make my final stand"
II) "I woke up in a Soho doorway, a policeman knew my name"
III) "I wish I could be as carefree and wild"
IV) "Caviar and cigarettes, well versed in etiquette"
V) "I eat more chicken than any man ever seen"
1) "There ain't no gold and there ain't nobody like me"
2) "Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat"
3) "Politicians sit yourself down, there's nothing for you here"
4) "I only smile when I lie, then I tell them why"
5) "No one you can save that can't be saved"
6) "It keeps me stable for days"
7) "Michigan seems like a dream to me now"
8) "You'd think that her head would be split"
9) "House the people livin' in the street"
10) "Well it's a long, long time since my baby's been gone"
11) "No one had the guts to leave the temple"
12) "Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind"
13) "Across the streams of hopes and dreams"
14) "I'm going to be a happy idiot"
15) "We have an old fashioned tomato"
16) "I'll ask polite if the devil needs a ride"
17) "Well, the undertaker drew a heavy sigh"
18) "We could exist on the stars; it'd be so easy"
19) "Look at Mother Nature on the run in the 1970s"
20) "I really want to see you, really want to be with you"
A) "Got in the house like a pigeon from hell"
B) "No, his mind is not for rent to any god or government"
C) "You know that I could be in love with almost everyone"
D) "I've been one poor correspondent"
E) "My mother was a tailor, she sewed my new blue jeans"
F) "And knowing that you would have wanted it this way"
G) "Mountains come out of the sky and they stand there"
H) "I try to keep my surface hid, smiling in the public eye"
I) "Sent a letter on a long summer day"
J) "We're just a drop of water in an endless sea"
K) "You drive us wild, we'll drive you crazy"
L) "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can?"
M) "It's not the ribbons in your hair"
N) "They gathered for the feast"
O) "'Come on home girl', he said with a smile"
P) "Now don't you wait, or hesitate"
Q) "You think you got a pretty face, but the rest of you is out of place"
R) "And dream of a girl I used to know"
S) "I'll stay with you 'till my seas are dried up"
T) "Would it be enough for your teenage lust?"
Good luck and enjoy!