TV Trivia Thursday #10
Hello and welcome to this week's TV Trivia Thursday! To acknowledge Tuesday's announcement of the Academy Award nominees, the first few questions today relate to the topics of awards and movies.
1) This sitcom, first airing in the mid-70s, was based on a movie whose lead had won the "Best Actress" Oscar for the role two years earlier, but with a different actress playing the character on TV.
2) Conversely, a TV series debuting in the late 60s followed a movie of that name from over 20 years earlier, but while the movie version was snubbed by the Academy, the co-star of the TV version earned two lead actress Emmys.
3) Finally, this actress, who in the 1950s became the first ever to win both a Tony and an Oscar for playing the same role, went on to add several Emmys to her portfolio, for playing a different title character on this early-60s TV series.
4) After four previous nominations, this actor finally won his Best Lead Actor Emmy for the final season of this sitcom. The award actually took place after the show had been cancelled, prompting the recipient's quip: "Thank you for the Emmy - now I just wish I had a job!"
5) Which of the following TV series is the only one (thus far) to not have been followed by one or more theatrical or made-for-TV movie versions:
a) Gilligan's Island
b) I Dream of Jeannie
d) Happy Days
e) My Favorite Martian
f) The Brady Bunch
h) Get Smart
i) The Odd Couple
j) The Munsters
6) Television producers - and their advertisers - usually love it when a show gets lots of fan mail. But name a case in which the network aired a special announcement after an episode of a classic 60s series, begging its fervent fans to stop sending letters in!
7) Decades before reality TV came into its own, whose real-life wedding took place on a late-night talk show?
8) And finally, a submission from my friend Soccer Dad:
The following characters appearing in "24" have something else in common. Name the actor/actress and the relevant character each starred as in that other context.
a) Mike Novick (Season 1, 2, 4, 5)
b) Phillip Bauer (Season 6)
c) Lynne Kresge (Season 2)
d) Roger Stanton (Season 2)
e) Sherry Palmer (Season 1,2,3)
f) Hamri Al-Assad (Season 6)