23 Skidoo Times Two
"The sun is the same, in a relative way, but you're older.
Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death." - Pink Floyd, "Time"
"It is a sobering thought that when Mozart was my age,
he had been dead for two years." - Tom Lehrer
Perhaps as a special birthday gift, my company seems to have enabled Blogger access again! So here I am, multi-tasking my birthday post...
Another infamous birthday for me!
Twice as old as I was at twenty-three.
In all that time, I still haven't learned to:
- Catch like Johnny Bench
- Or like Terrell Owens either
- Shoot hoops like Larry Bird
- Sing like Gregg Allman
- Write lyrics like Harry Chapin
- Or break teeny-bopper hearts like Aaron Carter
- Act tough and smart like Eli Wallach,
- Or even sweet and dumb like Ted Knight.
And I haven't even much changed my tastes in music, entertainment, or literature
(and we won't mention clothes!) .
But on the other hand, back half a lifetime ago, I was still:
- Unemployed, with no source of income
- In my 20th straight - and soon to be final - year of going to school
- Single, though dating my future wife (just barely)
- Living in a dorm
- Still carded regularly
- And though I hardly thought so then, unbelievably naive, immature, and juvenile.
Some of those were to change within that year, the others, in due time.
(And I'm still working on the last one.)
And here I am at 46 today, older, wisened if not wiser, and certainly wider!
So I guess, in a relative way, the times have been a'changing after all. To paraphrase Tevye, I don't remember growing older, when did I?
Happy 12/7 to all my family, friends, and blog-friends. And a special THANK YOU for a wonderful tribute today from a buddy who certainly meets categories 2-3, and in the heart, if not genealogically, #1 as well!