Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Friday, December 07, 2007

23 Skidoo Times Two

"The sun is the same, in a relative way, but you're older.
Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death." - Pink Floyd, "Time"

"It is a sobering thought that when Mozart was my age,
he had been dead for two years." - Tom Lehrer

Perhaps as a special birthday gift, my company seems to have enabled Blogger access again! So here I am, multi-tasking my birthday post...

Another infamous birthday for me!
Twice as old as I was at twenty-three.

In all that time, I still haven't learned to:
- Catch like Johnny Bench
- Or like Terrell Owens either
- Shoot hoops like Larry Bird
- Sing like Gregg Allman
- Write lyrics like Harry Chapin
- Or break teeny-bopper hearts like Aaron Carter
- Act tough and smart like Eli Wallach,
- Or even sweet and dumb like Ted Knight.
(Co-12/7ers all!)

And I haven't even much changed my tastes in music, entertainment, or literature
(and we won't mention clothes!) .

But on the other hand, back half a lifetime ago, I was still:
- Unemployed, with no source of income
- In my 20th straight - and soon to be final - year of going to school
- Single, though dating my future wife (just barely)
- Childless
- Living in a dorm
- Still carded regularly
- And though I hardly thought so then, unbelievably naive, immature, and juvenile.

Some of those were to change within that year, the others, in due time.
(And I'm still working on the last one.)

And here I am at 46 today, older, wisened if not wiser, and certainly wider!

So I guess, in a relative way, the times have been a'changing after all. To paraphrase Tevye, I don't remember growing older, when did I?

Happy 12/7 to all my family, friends, and blog-friends. And a special THANK YOU for a wonderful tribute today from a buddy who certainly meets categories 2-3, and in the heart, if not genealogically, #1 as well!

10 Comments:

At 12/7/07, 10:04 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

not wiser but wider?

Gee thanks. If that's how you talk about your buddies, I'd hate to get on your bad side!

:-)

 
At 12/7/07, 10:17 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Whoops - looks like my "three categories" were unclear! It referred to "family, friends, and blog-friends".

The "wiser/wisened/wider" comment was self-referential only!

 
At 12/7/07, 10:45 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

And I guess I was being a bit dense.

Sorry and Happy Birthday.

David

 
At 12/7/07, 12:12 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Happy Birthday.

 
At 12/7/07, 12:44 PM, Blogger trn said...

Happy birthday, Elie!

This seems to be the first time in your life that your birthday falls on Erev Shabbat Chanukah. Enjoy all the neirot!

 
At 12/7/07, 1:41 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Happy birthday, Elie. Hope you have a wonderful, happiness- and health-filled year!
Shabbat Shalom. Chag Sameach.

 
At 12/10/07, 5:33 AM, Blogger SS said...

Happy birthday, Elie. All the best!

 
At 12/10/07, 11:05 AM, Blogger orieyenta said...

Happy belated birthday from another Pearl Harbor Day baby. Bet you love those Pearl Harbor Day jokes as much as I do :)

 
At 12/10/07, 3:10 PM, Blogger Shira Salamone said...

It appears I'm bit late to the party. Happy belated birthday!

 
At 12/12/07, 11:01 AM, Blogger cruisin-mom said...

Happy bday (a little late)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home