Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, September 03, 2007

Musical Monday #10

Welcome to today's holiday edition of Musical Monday, a weekly quiz that Soccer Dad and I alternate hosting. For each song quote, identify the title and artist, as well as the common theme of the set of songs.

This week, as it's Labor Day here in the USA, you may have to work a bit harder to determine what the songs have in common. (And no, it's not the obvious one for today - school - there are quite enough painful "back to school" reminders around already, thank you very much!) Accordingly, if nobody comes close by tomorrow morning, I'll leave a hint in the comments.

And here they are - good luck!

1) "I'll never break my promise or forget my vow"

2) "Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend"

3) "Can you picture what will be, so limitless and free?"

4) "I ain't seen my baby since a nigh' and a week"

5) "It hides a nasty stain that's lying there"

6) "To walk to school she's got to get up early"

7) "Night after night in the dark I'm alone"

8) "I was dying just to ask for a taste"

9) "He likes to show off his physique"

10) "Yeah, from 7 come 11 down in the boys' gym"

11) "You've been starring in my dreams"

12) "There's a sadness hidden in that pretty face"

13) "What kind of love is this that you're givin' me?"

14) "No dark sarcasm in the classroom"

15) "But everyone knew her as Nancy"

16) "Dancin' to the rhythm in our heart and soul"

17) "Now you better earn some money"

18) "On the streets where once was pity"

19) "Why don't you tell me who's on the phone?"

20) "Dance on fire as it intends"

11 Comments:

At 9/3/07, 10:40 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

I always stink at these, but I actually recognize #4!!! Umm, that's as close as I get to answering one.

 
At 9/3/07, 11:16 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Ezzie - that's cause at least half of them were popular before you were born. I remember some of them. Of course I'm so old I've forgotten them.

Elie had to know that I'd get 2:

Night in White Satin - Moody Blues

5: I'm not in Love - 10 CC

9: The Streak - Ray Stevens

I bet he figued I'd guess 19 too:
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac; Real savage like.

 
At 9/3/07, 12:56 PM, Blogger LEL said...

1.Paradise by the dashboard lights-Meatloaf

3.The End-The Doors

9.The streak-Don't know the artist

12.Candy's Room-Bruce Springsteen

14.Brick in the Wall-Pink Floyd

15.Rocky Raccoon-The Beatles

18.Mr. Blue Sky-ELO

20.When the Music's Over-The Doors

 
At 9/3/07, 1:00 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

If I'm right about 2 & 5 then I'm wrong about 9 and 19. But I'm not going to say what I think the theme is.

 
At 9/3/07, 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#7 Matchmaker (Bock/Harnick) (Fiddler on the Roof)

 
At 9/3/07, 1:41 PM, Blogger Yitzchak Goodman said...

6. Living for the City--Stevie

 
At 9/3/07, 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually knew 3 of them - but they've already been answered!

Oh well

-SS

 
At 9/4/07, 9:34 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Good answers so far on the songs, but since nobody has even tried to guess what they have in common, here is a hint, such as it is.

The common factor has nothing to do with the titles, authors, or subjects/themes of the songs.

Does that help?

 
At 9/6/07, 12:37 PM, Blogger LEL said...

I have no clue as to the theme.

 
At 9/6/07, 3:03 PM, Blogger trn said...

Do these songs all have a spoken component?

 
At 9/9/07, 2:38 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I just wanted to say Shana Tova. I know that it is early, but...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home