Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Holy Cow! RIP Scooter

Just heard (via Soccer Dad) that Phil "The Scooter" Rizzuto, Yankee shortstop from 1941-1956, passed away today at the age of 89. Fans of my generation, of course, mostly remember Rizzuto for his tenure as television and radio announcer for the team, which lasted a full four decades, from 1956-1996. He became a hall of famer in 1994 based on a vote of the Veterans Committee, perhaps as much for his memorable years in the broadcast booth as for his solid, if not stellar, on-field career.

I most closely associate Phil with my early years at YU, and the sense of exuberance and freedom I felt at the time. His voice will forever be connected in my mind with my first opportunity, after years of patient, solitary Yankee fandom exiled in Oriole-land (sorry David!), to listen to my team's games on a regular basis. And of course there was his memorable speaking role in Meat Loaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light", another cultural artifact of the time with a special place in my nostalgic recollections.


And finally, I have to note that as a 5-6 pro ball player, Rizzuto was inspirational to all us "vertically challenged" folks.

Rest in peace, Phil, and may you be troubled by no "huckleberrys" in the hereafter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home