Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Friday, June 01, 2007

It Was (2x) Twenty Years Ago Today

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band cover
...That Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released! Generally considered the Beatles' magnum opus, it was possibly not the absolute best rock album of all time, but certainly the most influential one.

Hard to believe that four whole decades have passed since then... and even harder to believe that I was only 5-1/2 years old at the time. I often think that I was born ten years too late, at least from a pop culture standpoint. Most of my favorite music is from the mid 60s through mid 70s, but I didn't even become interested in rock music until my early teens, after most of that great music was history. To a lesser extent, this is true for TV and Marvel
comic books as well. I.e., I never once saw my beloved Star Trek during its network broadcast, only in syndication. And I started reading and collecting Marvel about four years past its heyday.

I can't live in the past, but I guess I can still revisit it, thanks to TV Land, Classic Rock stations, and my small cache of old comics. Meanwhile, today let's all remember back to (twice) 20 years ago today, when Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play... and rock and roll would never be the same again.

4 Comments:

At 6/1/07, 3:34 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Very cute op-ed in the Washington Post today.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/31/AR2007053101848.html

BTW, I don't remember Queen for a Day, but
http://www.forward.com/articles/royal-treatment/

 
At 6/3/07, 2:07 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Wow, you are old. ;)

 
At 6/3/07, 9:21 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Glad to see you blogging I was getting a little worried. It's nice to look back in time, and especially when it's a positive memory.

 
At 6/8/07, 10:07 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Y'know, I actually prefer Abby Road.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home