Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Blog-Tied

"The beer was empty and our tongues were tired
And running out of things to say"
- Dan Fogelberg, "Same Auld Lang Syne"

Yes, I'm still here. All is OK with Elie, blogosphere... more or less.

And I have both my usual excuse - crazy-busy at work this week - and my new excuse - no more access to blogger from the office - for my lack of recent posts.

But I admit that it's more than that. Lately I have found all aspects of blogging to be increasingly difficult. I have trouble thinking of topics I really feel like writing about, and when I do come up with one, the right words just don't shake loose in my brain. Am I losing my enthusiasm for the whole thing, or is this just a temporary slump, and one day soon I'll start making my smoking comeback like the '78 Yankees (and hopefully the 2007 Yankees too!)

What do you do when you have such serious blogger-block that you don't feel like getting out of Google in the morning?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

6 Comments:

At 6/14/07, 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have Blogger slumps, work slumps... Sometimes you just have to take a break, short or long. Nothing wrong with that.

 
At 6/15/07, 3:28 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Bucky Dent- blogging will come back. I find that my desire comes and goes. Sometimes I just force myself to do it.

But I love to write and am always interested in improving it so blogging is a good excuse.

Sometimes I get through it by posting stories that interest me. I don't always need to spend a ton of time commenting on them.

That kind of ties in to my desire to use my blog as a diary of my life.

 
At 6/15/07, 10:09 AM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

I know how you feel. When I started blogging, I had so many things to say that I could barely keep them from escaping. Now...well...I've said all those things. I hate to be repetitive.

PLUS,

Busier at work, with family, gigging, shul, real life, etc.

Less anonymity, ie if I write about the school dinner, chances are one of the menahels will read it and comment (which I believe just happened), or that my kids/wife are more likely to read, so I've eliminated a bunch of topics from my list.

And, I do still have things I want to say, but now I have more of a quality level to live up to, I can't just write stuff off the top of my head and hope it's ok. I need time with a good post, and it's hard to find.

And yet, my most popular posts are the ones I bat off in 3 minutes, like what I ate for breakfast or something.

The main thing is, don't feel pressured to put out material. Usually that just leads to crappy blogging. Write when the muse hits you.

 
At 6/15/07, 6:33 PM, Blogger Alan aka Avrum ben Avrum said...

Dear Reb Elie,

My prescription is ... 1) sit down,
2) take a long look at Aaron's photo on your desk, 3) breathe deeply ... and 4) start typing!

In addition, why not peruse your archives, select a few for revision and revise. You might be surprised at how you have had to say things differently the second time around!

A Very Shabbat Shalom.

I remain,

Very Sincerely yours,

Alan D. Busch

 
At 6/17/07, 10:07 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Lately I have been feeling like I can't write what I want bc it's too personal and then I don't know what to write, I just would tell you not to push yourself and just write when you feel like it and when you are relaxed and it will come....

 
At 6/21/07, 9:58 AM, Blogger have popcorn will lurk said...

LOL. I know exactly what you mean. I'm there right now! (Except I just posted something. Fluff.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home