Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Memenorah

Soccer Dad tagged me with the Menorah Meme. Following his example, I'll also talk about four different menorahs: mine and my three kids'.

The one on the far left is mine. It was originally a bar mitzvah gift - rather appropriate since my bar mitzvah fell on Chanukah, back a mere 32 years ago. This year is thus the 33rd time I've used this menorah. Every Chanukah I tell myself that this time I'm going to switch to an oil menorah, but somehow every year I find it hard to part with the menorah I've used for so long. I've let go of so many remnants of my youth; is it wrong to hold on to just a few?

The next one over is Shayna's. She won it in a raffle at her school's mother-daughter luncheon four years ago, and has used it ever since.

The one emblazoned with "Shalom" in Hebrew and English is - surprise! - Shalom's. It was his Chanukah present from his uncle, Debbie's brother, in 1995, the year Shayna was born. It's the only menorah he's ever used, but seems a bit small now for such a big kid. Shalom's a lot like his old man when it comes to finding change difficult. Maybe we'll help encourage one another to trade upwards next year.

Finally, the one on the far right is Ben's. No special story here; he just picked it out of several others we have in our cabinet. He's used a variety of others over the years.

Since Chanukah is almost over, I won't tag anyone else specifically. But if any of my fellow-Jbloggers would like to get this meme in at the 11th hour (well 7th day anyway), consider yourself tagged.

3 Comments:

At 12/22/06, 8:29 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Happy chanukah.

 
At 12/22/06, 3:33 PM, Blogger Alan aka Avrum ben Avrum said...

Dear Reb Elie,

Where is Aaron's?


Freiliche Chanukah v' Shabbat Shalom!

I remain,

Very Sincerely yours,

Alan D. Busch

 
At 12/25/06, 10:00 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Alan/Avrum: I honestly don't remember which menorah Aaron used to use. It's one of the many recollections that I seem to have blotted out. From what I have read, such memory losses are not uncommon for those who have suffered what we have. Sometimes the other kids will remind me of something Aaron did, and it will come back to me then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home