Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Halfway Bent Birthday

"I was twenty-one years when I wrote this song
I'm twenty-two now but I won't be for long
Time hurries on
And the leaves that are green turn to brown"
- Simon and Garfunkel, "Leaves That Are Green"

"At ninety, one is bent over with age"
- Pirke Avos 5:25

And today I'm not only halfway to "bent over with age", I've also outdone Rymin' Simon's protagonist. I'm twenty-two and twenty-three - added together, that is!

Yes, it's that dreaded date again, the Birthday That Shall Live In Infamy. In my last year's post by that name, I listed some of the luminaries who share my date of birth; feel free to check em out there. I'll come clean today and admit that in addition to those stalwarts, I also have the shame of being a co-12/7-er with both Terrell Owens and Noam Chomsky. Infamy indeed.

So although, in my 45 short years (heightwise, that is) I have yet to achieve fame - not even my allotted fifteen minutes of it - at least I haven't become infamous, either. I suppose that has to count for something.

But I will say this: I will never dread getting old, as so many do in our youth-obsessed culture. As my Zaideh, who died a few weeks after his 101st birthday, used to say: think of the alternative.

So send your electronic good wishes and Geritol coupons this way!

PS: Thanks to Soccer Dad for the blog-birthday wishes!

7 Comments:

At 12/7/06, 10:04 AM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Yom Huledet Sameach, Elie. I found this nice quote for you:

A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip.
~Author Unknown

Or maybe you could modify these quotes to make them your own:

I'm sixty years of age. That's 16 Celsius.
~George Carlin, Brain Droppings, 1997


You're not 40, you're eighteen with 22 years experience.
~Author Unknown

 
At 12/7/06, 10:12 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Thanks for the good wishes, and the quotes Pearl!

I also like this one, from the inimitable Tom Lehrer:

“It is a sobering thought that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years.”

 
At 12/7/06, 12:15 PM, Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Happy Birthday Old Man!

 
At 12/7/06, 12:47 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Happy birthday.

 
At 12/7/06, 12:56 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Happy birthday you young whippersnapper.

 
At 12/9/06, 9:32 PM, Blogger cruisin-mom said...

In my book Elie, you are just a baby!

 
At 12/10/06, 12:30 AM, Blogger Lost said...

Happy belated birthday! May this year bring you only the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home