Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, November 27, 2006

Wacky Wordies

Talk about nostalgia! My son Ben brought home a sheet of Wacky Wordies that's been going around his school. It was a photocopy of a Games Magazine page from over twenty years ago - one I recall working on with my YU buddies when it first came out! Remember, Soccer Dad?

For those who have never encountered these addictive puzzles before, Wacky Wordies are word and/or picture puzzles that stand for familiar phrases. For example, the following:
My Skin
I've Got You

would represent the phrase "I've Got You Under My Skin", since the words "I've Got You" are under the words "My Skin". Don't worry, most of them are much trickier than that!

Here are a dozen good visual ones I've found on-line, plus three more non-pictorial ones I came up with myself, for good measure. Send your solutions in as comments - I'll provide any missing answers afterwards.

Enjoy!!

1)a gross injustice
2) between the devil and the deep blue sea
3) no one is perfect
4) it's the thought that counts
5)once in a blue moon
6)a shot in the dark
7)roger over and out
8)reading between the lines
9)old black magic
10) The start of something big
11) eye shadow
12) half baked

13)

AIEBIECEIDIEEIEFIE

14)

TALDSE SUTN

15)

OOUUTRSTFAINDEINLGD

14 Comments:

At 11/27/06, 3:03 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

1) Gross Injustice
2) Between the devil and the deep blue sea
5)Once in a blue moon
8) Reading between the lines
12) Half baked

Some I remember; others I don't.
Thanks

 
At 11/27/06, 3:45 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

6) Shot in the dark.
13) I before E, except after C. (Though it's not true!)
9) Old school black magic? Gothic?

 
At 11/27/06, 4:21 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Isn't 9 just Black Magic? Maybe we're supposed to ignore the fonts.

 
At 11/27/06, 4:23 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

7) Roger over and out
11) Blue eye shadow

 
At 11/27/06, 4:41 PM, Blogger Elie said...

David and Ezzie: You're both partly right on #9 - it's "Old Black Magic". Others answers all correct so far.

BTW David, on your first comment, these are not the same ones as on the sheet Ben brought home, which is the one we had worked on in the dorm long ago. You may remember some of them from elsewhere but not that particular puzzle.

 
At 11/27/06, 7:01 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

4. It's the thought that counts.

6. Shot in the dark.

7. Roger, over and out.

11) Eyeshadow.

 
At 11/27/06, 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3) the one that got away

 
At 11/28/06, 7:56 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

10) the start of something big.

 
At 11/28/06, 2:57 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

That's weird. I left a comment yesterday that did a couple more of them, including 10... strange.

 
At 11/28/06, 2:58 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

And it guessed at 15 - Outstanding in Our field...

 
At 11/28/06, 3:02 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Ezzie: You da man! Correct on both 14 (under other post) and 15.

I can guess what happened to your missing comment. The new "beta" version of blogger does that sometimes. It's happened to me several times on other blogs. New and improved, hah!

 
At 12/6/06, 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"New and improved, hah!" Now you know why I haven't switched yet.

 
At 4/25/08, 2:02 PM, Blogger BigRed said...

9 is OLD BLACK MAGIC beause it is written in old english

 
At 4/28/08, 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1)A gross injustice
2)between the devil and the deep blue sea
3)no one is perfect
4)It's the thought that counts
5) once in a blue moon
6) a shot in the dark
7) roger, over and out
8) reading between the lines
9) Old black magic
10) The start of something big
11) ?
12) half baked
13) I before C except after C
14) ?
15) ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home