Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Friday, August 04, 2006

Vaeschanan - Quotes Quiz

Here's a Torah Trivia question that's sort of a family tradition of mine. Each year, when this week's parshah of Vaeschanan was read, my zaideh Z'L used to ask my father Z'L this question. A generation later, Dad would annually quiz my brother and me. And for the past few years, I've been trying it on my kids... and now, on my readers as well!

We all know that Vaeschanan contains the most prominent and recognized excerpt from the Torah to become part of our tefilah - namely, the first paragraph of the Shema. But beyond that, this parshah as a whole contributes more individual items to the overall Jewish liturgy than any other parshah.

Find as many separate ones as you can, and respond in the comments section of this post. I'll update on Tuesday with any that haven't yet been listed.

If nothing else, this'll get ya'll to listen carefully to the laining this week!

A good Shabbos Nachamu to all!

4 Comments:

At 8/5/06, 10:55 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

V'atem hadveikim.

And while it's not Va'eschanan, Eichah, of course, provides Hashivainu.

It's times like these that I regret not being a Baal Koreh.

 
At 8/6/06, 3:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shalom. I am the publisher of Herut, blog in spanish. I invite you to visit Herut and to leaving your commentaries. Excuse me, but my English is very bad. The direction is:
www.herutx.blogspot.com

Congratulations for your blog.

 
At 8/7/06, 10:26 AM, Blogger Elie said...

David: Actually I have never lained Vaeschanan. And I've also found, surprisingly, that laining a parsha doesn't much increase my understanding of the meaning of the pesukim, since I'm entirely focused on memorizing the nekudos and trupe. Comprehension/translation and memorization seem to involve two different parts of my brain.

 
At 8/8/06, 12:58 AM, Blogger Shira Salamone said...

How could I resist a fun quiz like this?

Atah horeita ladaat ki HaShem hu haElokim, ein od mil'vado. (To you it was shown, that you might know that HaShem He is our G-d, there is none else beside him.) Deuteronomy chapter 4, verse 35. Quoted in the Simchat Torah service at the beginning of the Hakafot.

The second mention of the Aseret HaDibrot/Ten Commandments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home