Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Planet Envy

By now the news about Pluto being booted from the solar system's old-boys (plus token female Venus) club, is practically as old as the news that it became a planet in the first place - there are probably plenty of spry seniors around who still remember that fine day in 1930. But I was busy being on vacation from internet access last weekend, and as a space buff I feel duty bound to acknowledge this low blow to Pluto's self-esteem. Well, though tardy, at least I came up with a title that I hadn't seen anyone else use. My next favorite: "Eight is Enough".

What's really galling about this is the absolutely lame reason they gave for Pluto's demotion - it doesn't "clear the neighborhood around its orbit". So Pluto's a bit messy... big deal! It's a good thing those IAU guys never saw my kids' rooms. Talk about not clearing the neighborhood around your orbit.

Well, 994 years from now when Martinex comes to visit, we'd all better have a good explanation for this one!

3 Comments:

At 8/30/06, 10:43 PM, Blogger Lady-Light said...

token female planet-lol, that's a good one. probably true, in this politically correct world. and, shouldn't it be "Plutonians", instead of 'Pluvians'?(time to edit Wikipedia, huh?). your kids' room sounds like mine; youngest just flew in and out & back to Israel like a whirlwind. btw, hope you don't mind--I tagged you, Elie, for the Book Meme ; hope you are so inclined.

 
At 8/31/06, 9:45 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Interesting thanks

 
At 9/1/06, 5:36 PM, Blogger Elie said...

I always though Pluvian is correct for "of the planet Pluto", whereas "Plutonian" is an adjective used for something diabolical or evil; i.e., having the characteristics of the Roman god Pluto. But maybe "Pluvian" was just made up by Marvel comics, my main childhood literature.

I saw the tag and I'll try to get to it if I ever get to all the other topics I keep meaning to blog about!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home