Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mad Mel

By now I'm sure even those who are dutifully focused on the important news of the day, have heard something about Mel Gibson's drunken driving arrest a few days ago, accompanied by an anti-Semitic rant. That this incident occurred at all should hardly be surprising. Gee, the man who brought us the "The Passion of the Christ" is anti-Semitic. Ya think???

I did learn a couple of new insights about Gibson from this incident though. First, that he was really typecast in some of those early roles where he played crazies. Secondly, that he has more recently honed his acting skills by developing a gift for irony:
"I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior"
Which "family" is it that he "disgraced"? His father the Holocaust denier? Reminds me of the Robert Klein line: "They wouldn't let me say 'Jew-Boy' on the Tonight show. They got too many letters from Mississippi saying "Why didn't you say 'Jew-bastard'??" "

Mel, I've got an idea for your next movie. "Mad Mel - Beyond Thunderbolt"!

5 Comments:

At 8/1/06, 2:48 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I keep hearing about this but don't follow exactly what is going on. You wrote it in a clear way it is interesting. Do you still like him?

 
At 8/1/06, 2:55 PM, Blogger Elie said...

I usually try to separate an artist's politics from my appreciation of his/her art. Otherwise, how could I still enjoy Springsteen or U-2? In this case it's getting difficult though, as it seems Gibson is not just a misguided or misinformed knew-jerk liberal like most celebs; he's a genuine rabid Jew-hater.

So I think I really would have trouble enjoying his movies from now on. Though to be honest, I wouldn't say any of his movies were among my favorites anyway. I just hope Harrison Ford never turns out to be an anti-Semite!

 
At 8/1/06, 5:57 PM, Blogger SS said...

Amen to that - and not likely, considering that Harrison Ford is at least "partly Jewish".

 
At 8/1/06, 6:48 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Which part of him is Jewish? :-)

Unfortunately though, being born Jewish doesn't keep one from being a Jew-hater. Just look at Noam Chomsky, for one of too many.

 
At 8/2/06, 11:58 PM, Blogger yoniQua said...

he makes me ill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home