Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My Movie Meme

I was tagged by Jerusalem Cop with the new Movie Meme. I think this is first time I've ever been tagged in the initial round of a meme. Wow, I feel like a movie star myself!

So, here goes. I will avoid any repeating (except for the "trilogies" category), even if sometimes a lesser favorite will thereby be bumped up - e.g., lots of favorites in other categories would fit under "Dramas" as well:

Top 3 Favorite Action Movies:
1. Indiana Jones (all three)
2. Die Hard
3. Pirates of the Caribbean

Top 3 Favorite Animated Movies:
1. The Incredibles
2. Shrek
3. Beauty and the Beast

Top 3 Favorite Biographical Movies:
1. Lean On Me
2. Catch Me If You Can
3. Winchell

Top 3 Favorite Classic Movies:
1. Psycho
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
3. To Kill A Mockingbird

Top 3 Favorite Courtroom Dramas:
1. My Cousin Vinnie
2. And Justice For All
3. Liar Liar (not quite a "drama" but great courtroom scenes!)

Top 3 Favorite Documentaries (I'll include dramatized ones)
1. Not Without My Daughter
2. Schindler's List
3. Relentless - The Struggle for Peace in Israel

Top 3 Favorite Dramas:
1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. Rain Man
3. Pulp Fiction

Top 3 Favorite Historical Movies:
1. Apollo 13
2. Mississippi Burning
3. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Top 3 Favorite Horror Movies:
1. The Silence of the Lambs
2. Misery
3. The Fly

Top 3 Favorite "Juvenile" Comedies:
1. Animal House
2. One Crazy Summer
3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Top 3 Favorite Musicals:
1. The Blues Brothers
2. Fiddler on the Roof
3. The Producers

Top 3 Favorite Romantic Comedies:
1. The Money Pit
2. Groundhog Day
3. Crossing Delancey

Top 3 Favorite Science Fiction Movies:
1. Star Trek - The Wrath of Khan
2. Star Wars Episodes 4-6
3. Deep Impact

Top 3 Favorite Sports Movies:
1. A League of Their Own
2. The Natural
3. Hoosiers

Top 3 Favorite Superhero Movies:
1. Superman 2
2. Spiderman 1
2. X-Men 1

Top 3 Favorite Thrillers:
1. The Fugitive
2. The Towering Inferno
3. White Nights

Top 3 Favorite Trilogies:
1. Star Wars
2. Indiana Jones
3. Back to the Future

Top 3 Favorite War/Military Movies:
1. Stripes
2. An Officer and a Gentleman
3. Good Morning Vietnam

Top 3 Favorite Westerns:
1. The Frisco Kid
2. City Slickers
3. Blazing Saddles

Since this one is quite a bit of work, I'll make my "tag" voluntary: Soccer Dad, Shifra, and Mirty.

8 Comments:

At 5/31/06, 10:50 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

And if you made it mandatory, I'd have to do it?
I don't know that many movies in that many categories.
I noticed the LoTR did not make your trilogy list. Is that an oversight?

 
At 5/31/06, 11:17 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Not an oversight. As I never tire of saying, LotR is my favorite book by far, but I was somewhat disappointed with the movies. I think my problem is that I know the books too well, and every little change bothered me too much. The price us purists have to pay! I know people who had the same problem with the Harry Potter movies.

Not that I felt the LotR movies were terrible - if nothing else they were certainly an incredible work of choreography and special effects. But they don't quite rank up there with the other three trilogies I listed.

 
At 5/31/06, 11:32 AM, Blogger Elie said...

On your other comment, I admit that my movie tastes and experience aren't quite as diverse as this list either. You'll notice I stretched several of the categories (Classic, Courtroom Dramas, Documentaries, War, Western) quite a bit to find three movies I liked that fit!

 
At 5/31/06, 1:24 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Well, if nothign else this confirms that if I we were trapped on a desert island together we'd have plenty to speak about.

Good list.

 
At 5/31/06, 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come you didn't work in "Dave" somewhere? I thought that was your favorite movie.
"You'll notice I stretched
several of the categories
(Classic, Courtroom Dramas,
Documentaries, War, Western)
quite a bit"

I'll say!! The Frisco Kid is a western??!!

-Tova

 
At 6/1/06, 10:04 AM, Blogger Elie said...

I really wanted to work "Dave" in somewhere, but it totally didn't fit any of the categories. The meme needed another category for just plain "comedy" or maybe "political comedy".

 
At 6/6/06, 4:13 AM, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

you could always add a category.

I loved Dave also, great movie. I have to agree with Jack tho. We would have what to discuss if we were ever stranded on a deserted island

;)

J.

 
At 10/27/06, 3:13 PM, Blogger Kylopod said...

You have very similar movie tastes to mine. I couldn't believe how often I agreed with your choices. "Groundhog Day" and "Pulp Fiction" are among my favorite films. When I think of great horror, I'm much more likely to think of "Misery" and "Silence of the Lambs" than teen slasher flicks.

You can read some of my reviews here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home