Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sudokolic

Is there a support group for Sudoku addiction?

I am totally hooked on these clever, elegant number logic puzzles. So far I've been able to keep it down to one a day - the one published in my local paper. But I know how it goes, you start with just that harmless looking newspaper feature, but soon you're visiting the web sites, buying the books, and before you know it you're lying in the gutter clutching a pen with almost no ink left, feebly muttering "OK, so this row needs a 9, a 3, and a 5, but a 5 can't go in this column because then there won't be anywhere to put a 5 in that square, but then..."

It's eating up my lunch hour. It's cutting into my family time. It's even - gasp! - starting to compete with my blogging!!

OK, I've made it to step one. Admitting the problem. Now to look for an SA (Sudokolics Anonymous) group in my neighborhood.

5 Comments:

At 3/1/06, 1:33 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

When I see one, I do it - but thankfully, I don't get the paper. :)

 
At 3/1/06, 2:38 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Ezzie you don't need a newspaper there are websites. There are handheld Soduku games for about $20.

Elie, Cuts into blogging? You really do have a problem :-)

 
At 3/2/06, 3:19 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Elie:

Not meaning to make your life totally miserable, but they sell Sudoku in Israel that can be played on shabbat as well (with pop out numbers).

Interested? Its about 10 dollars for a set...and then you'll have no peace of mind, ever! :)

 
At 3/2/06, 7:23 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Jameel: Another good argument for aliyah!

Swiftthinker: Are you trying to get me hooked on the hard stuff? I always suspected the regular Sudoku was a "gateway" puzzle!

 
At 3/6/06, 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I returned from Israel this morning. There was a lady two seats over from me doing Sudoko puzzles. In fact, that's all she did during the entire flight. She didn't read, didn't sleep, didn't watch the movies. (It was a long flight, too, over 11 hours.)

Is this how Elie will end up?

Soccer Dad's Former Roommate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home