Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Seasonal Rock

Now that December has begun, I feel it's legitimate to talk about the upcoming "holiday season" (one of the silliest and most transparent euphemisms of our day, IMHO, but hey, you can't fight city hall). I'm well aware that these days, the "holiday season" starts at least two weeks before Thanksgiving, but I'm old fashioned about this kind of stuff. Just as, lehavdil, I utterly refuse to acknowledge any Passover food displays on supermarket shelves until after Purim, I held back this post until we were at least in the right month.

But I digress - what I really wanted to do in this post was not preach, but confess. Specifically, though my Jewish religious affiliation is comfortably secure, I do really enjoy, and look forward to, some of the "holiday" music that I get to hear only at this time of year. There are at least a few that are great rock songs in their own right, and just happen to have a Christmassy theme. The examples that come to mind:
  • Tom Petty, "Christmas All Over Again"; great tune and beat, fun and upbeat song
  • ELP, "I Believe in Father Christmas"; hauntingly beautiful and sad ballad
  • The Kinks, "Father Christmas"; biting, clever, funny, and really rocks!
  • Bruce Springsteen (live), "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"; perfect example of how a live version can sometimes create a totally new song. Bruce made this oldie his own, and the fun that he and his entire band (especially Clarence!) had with it really shows
  • The Waitresses, "Christmas Wrapping"; wonderfully genuine and sweet story; the only Christmas song I can think of that actually brings tears to the eyes of this frum yid
There are probably a couple more that I enjoy, but these five are at the top. Any of my fellow J-bloggers feel like fessing up to a similar list?

8 Comments:

At 12/2/05, 3:06 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Try this one

 
At 12/2/05, 3:07 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

P.S. I wish that whomever transcribed the lyrics knew how to spell.

 
At 12/2/05, 12:10 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Okay, I confess...I like the American standard singers (Rosemary Clooney, Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby) doing their versions of the music of the season. I also like just about any and all R & B versions of holiday music -- from the smooth stylings of balladeers to the upbeat Gospel type singing styles.

I also like the the jazzy music-only version of "Christmastime is Here" from "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

 
At 12/4/05, 5:42 AM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

How about S & G's Silent Night? Or is that more an anti-violence song?

 
At 12/5/05, 10:14 AM, Blogger Shifra said...

For more modern fare I really like the sarah mclaughlin/Bare naked ladies version of "god rest ye merry gentlemen" Even though it's really a relgious song, and not just winter holiday fun.

A very guilty pleasure indeed.

 
At 12/5/05, 10:39 AM, Blogger Elie said...

The S&G song is rather unique but you could call it a holiday song of sorts.

I'm not familiar with the Sarah Mclaughlin song. But I heard another holiday one I liked today; the Pretenders "2000 Miles".

 
At 12/5/05, 11:01 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Oh yes, one more "frum" one that I like anyway; "Silent Night" by Stevie Nicks.

 
At 12/5/05, 12:50 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

I think Feed the World was also a Christmas rock song. I liked it when it came out...but haven't heard it in years.

Thats something nice about the December Holiday Season in Israel - its all sufganiyot :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home