Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Friday, December 30, 2005

Pearl Harbor Revisited

Inspired by Seraphic Secret, here's a link to one of my favorite political satire pieces, written by Naomi Ragen, author of "Sotah" and other novels set in the frum community. Of course, it would have been more timely to post this on Pearl Harbor Day itself, but I was busy that day prattling about my birthday. But there is still a connection, since today, the 5th day of Chanukah, happens to be my Hebrew birthday!

I try to avoid making my political views obvious at work, especially since my company is very multi-ethnic (and in fact several key engineers on my products hail from the Arab world). But the above piece is one of the only two politically-oriented items that have a permanent place on my office wall, among all the family pictures, kids' drawings, and phone lists. The other such item is a deadly serious cartoon by Steven Pastis, author of the generally funny Pearls Before Swine comic strip. Unfortunately, the particular strip is no longer available on line, but it's discussed here by Soccer Dad.

2 Comments:

At 12/30/05, 11:09 AM, Blogger A Simple Jew said...

Happy Birthday! I too was born on Chanukah.

 
At 12/30/05, 11:13 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Then happy birthday right back atcha!

And of course, a freilichin Chanukah to all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home