Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, November 28, 2005

Stairway #1 - What Else Is New

My radio station had their annual Thanksgiving weekend countdown of the top 1043 rock songs, as voted by listeners. As usual, "Stairway to Heaven" was number one. I don't ever remember this song not being #1 on such countdowns since my high school days. As I've said before, I just don't get this. Stairway is admittedly a great song, but is it that far above all the other classics that it's a shoo-in to win every time?

What was different about this particular countdown is that there were no Beatles songs in the top ten. Though I wouldn't consign the Fab Four to obscurity just yet; they did have three songs in the top 20, and eleven in the top 100. I would have to guess they probably also had far more songs on the overall list than any other group, though this would be hard to check because the web site didn't publish stats.

I enjoy listening to these countdowns each year, but especially to the earlier portions, where I get to hear a lot of songs I don't hear that often. The top 200 or so songs, by contrast, all get fairly regular airplay the rest of the year. I am reminded why I can't stand listening to pop stations; even if I like a song, I don't want to hear it nine times a day! With rare exceptions, once a week is about as often as I can enjoy listening to a given song without it feeling too repetitious.

4 Comments:

At 11/29/05, 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to hear your opinions as to the most overrated group(s) and the most overplayed song(s).

Overrated Group:
The Doors (they're nothing better than a 3rd rate bar band)

Overrated Artists:
John [Cougar] [Mellencamp] (depending on what he's going by this week)

Prince

Overplayed Song:
Jack & Diane, John Mellancamp

Soccer Dad's Former Roommate

 
At 11/29/05, 1:07 PM, Blogger Soccer Dad said...

Soccer Dad's former roommate:
For overrated bands how about the Beatles and Pink Floyd?
:-)

 
At 11/29/05, 1:26 PM, Blogger Elie said...

"Former": Good topic! Here are my picks (sticking to the artists played on "Classic Rock" stations):

Most overrated bands: AC/DC, Def Leppard, Grateful Dead. Also Led Zep to some degree - they're good but not the "gods" they are purported to be.

Most overrated solo artists: I'll agree with Mellancamp, also add Peter Gabriel and Neil Young.

Overplayed Songs: Bruce's "Hungry Heart" and "Born in the USA" - by far my least favorite of his songs.

Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill"

Billy Joel's "My Life" - when it was new, the only Billy Joel song I ever got totally sick of. I still find it hard to listen to.

How about underrated groups? Here are mine: Blind Faith, The Guess Who, Kansas

I may add more later as I think about it further.

David: Good thing you included the smiley; otherwise I'd be worried about schizophrenia!

 
At 11/29/05, 10:27 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Ok, I really like most of the bands you listed and think that they added a lot to the recipe for rock. Blind Faith- Can't Find My Way Home is one of my favorite songs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home