Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Top ~Ten TV - Fractions Count!

OK, need a lighter post or two after yesterday's!

So, last night when trying to fall asleep, I was thinking of my top ten list of favorite television shows. The complicating factor is, there are certain shows that would only make my list for part of their runs, due to significant mid-run changes in the cast and/or concept of the show. But since I've always been a math person anyway, I decided that the simple (?) solution is for partial runs of a show to count fractionally. With this approach, my list adds up to just about 10 - well to be exact, 10-2/11!

So here goes - Elie's top ~10 list of TV shows. These are not in order, except that I left the fractional ones for the end:
  • 1) Star Trek - Original
  • 2) Star Trek - Deep Space Nine
  • 3) The Twilight Zone
  • 4) The Odd Couple
  • 5) Taxi
  • 6) The Honeymooners
  • 7) Get Smart
  • 8) The Bob Newhart Show
  • 9) The Mary Tyler Moore Show
  • 9-5/11) Cheers - Seasons 1-5 out of 11
  • 10) M*A*S*H - Seasons 2-7 out of 11
  • 10-2/11) Happy Days - Seasons 3-4 out of 11
Notes on last three items:
  • Cheers: The Diane years
  • M*A*S*H: Past the initial rough edges, pre Radar departure and overdoing preachiness
  • Happy Days: First two live audience seasons, pre (literal and figurative) shark jump

4 Comments:

At 8/4/05, 2:06 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Good shows.

 
At 8/5/05, 11:02 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Swiftthinker: Simple answer: I never really watched Night Court - though from what I hear, I would have liked it. Once I went away to college (1978) I had little opportunity or time to watch any new shows regularly. Even now I watch very little new TV.

I was thinking of appending another list of "Shows that I never watched, but which I'd probably love based on what I've heard of them". It would include Night Court, St. Elsewhere, and Quantum Leap.

I also left a couple of others programs off the list because they don't really fit the mold of "TV Shows". Specifically, HBO series (Sopranos, SFU), which are the only new shows I now watch, and which are in a category by themselves (as they proclaim, "It's Not TV...") and the SNL original-cast seasons, which I view more as filmed standup than a "TV show". Kind of arbitrary, but hey, it's my blog and we'll play by my rules!

 
At 8/5/05, 12:07 PM, Blogger Elie said...

I think Nick at Night or TV Land is going to start showing Night Court soon - so I'll give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion.

 
At 8/14/05, 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you forgot the simpsons!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home