Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Quote for a Sad Day

Today was a hard day. We received a number of Aaron-related pieces of mail; his AP grades (all "4's", including the two AP tests he took during his last week on earth), confirmation of his college credits from Fairleigh Dickensen, a beautiful, intensely personal letter from his grade school bus driver. Each individually a strengthening reminder of who Aaron was, but therefore also a re-opening of the wound that never even started to close.

I know that I never really understood the meaning of the term "bittersweet" before. And I'm reminded again of the following slightly profane, yet still profound quote from a definitely profane, yet still sometimes profound source:

"
You know what I find interesting? If you lose a spouse, you're called a widow, or a widower. If you're a child and you lose your parents, then you're an orphan. But what's the word to describe a parent who loses a child? I guess that's just too f---ing awful to even have a name." - Brenda Chenowith, Six Feet Under

10 Comments:

At 7/20/05, 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you.

 
At 7/20/05, 10:57 AM, Blogger Ocean Guy said...

I pray your pain is quickly gone, overwhelmed by joyous memories.

Thanks too, for the link to the SNL scripts... You've spread a bit of joy unknowingly.

 
At 7/20/05, 12:36 PM, Blogger AbleVaybel said...

I am so sorry to learn about your loss. I don't think words are adequate to express the profundity of sadness at the death of your son. May his name be for a blessing among the righteous of Israel and may you and your family be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem. May you also be gebentsched never, ever to know such tragedy and sadness again.

 
At 7/20/05, 12:43 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Elie
I came to your blog today via Mirty's. SO glad I did.
I see that you already discovered links -- Seraphic Secret, Moving On -- that I would have suggested you read...just for a sense of "companionship."
Aaron's (Z"L) neshama should have an aliya, your family should not know from pain, and may each day be a little kinder to you and your family, enough for you all to eventually be able to find some peace of mind...
Auf simchas.

 
At 7/20/05, 6:31 PM, Blogger Chandira said...

Never feel it as an insult from life, just a wound of love. Stay wounded, but let the pain turn to love.
Nobody is separate from anything or any one in the Universe.

Came here via Mirty. God bless.

 
At 7/20/05, 8:53 PM, Blogger Ayelet said...

It is too awful to have a name. It must be. HaMakom yinachem etchem...v'lo tosifu l'da'ava od.
(a letter from a grade-school bus driver? Wow. Sounds like Aaron was extraordinarily special - not just to you!)

 
At 7/21/05, 1:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mirty sent me but I am sure I'll be back. I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry.

 
At 8/3/05, 12:08 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

My deepest condolences on your loss. I can't even fathom the pain your family must be in. May Aaron's memory be a blessing.

 
At 8/3/05, 11:45 AM, Blogger Kashrut News said...

Oh, I'm so so sorry. I'm sure there are no words anywhere to describe the greatest pain a person can experience. May the Omnipresent console you among the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

 
At 8/12/05, 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not a reopening just a good remembering

 

Post a Comment

<< Home