Elie's Expositions

A bereaved father blogging for catharsis... and for distraction. Accordingly, you'll see a diverse set of topics and posts here, from the affecting to the analytical to the absurd. Something for everyone, but all, at the core, meeting a personal need.


Powered by WebAds

Monday, July 25, 2005

HP's Magical Real World

A quick item on the new Harry Potter book. Actually, I will shamefully admit I still haven't gotten to finish it! I intended to do so yesterday but was too wiped out from the fast (mostly my caffeine withdrawal) to get much reading done. So no significant spoilers here, but just in case you haven't read it yet, and like Sgt. Schultz want to know nuhtink!! - stop here!

So... one thing that contributes to the rich texture of the HP books is the creative way Rowling invents magical-world analogues of real-world situations and issues. Three new examples that jumped out at me so far in "Half Blood Prince":
  • The Secrecy Sensors used to check for dangerous magical items <==> metal detectors
  • Use of the Felix Felices potion banned for Quiddich and other sports <==> steroids
  • Apparition lessons for students turning 17 <==> Driver's Ed
I may have more to add when I finish the book - hopefully today or tomorrow.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Sigh* ... Reading Harry Potter is not without a depressing side for me - as are most things these days. Aaron was the one in our family that first got "into" HP, and then sold me and brother Shalom (and Ben to a lesser extent) on it. We had pre-ordered two copies of the latest, as all HP books so far - one for Shalom and one for Aaron. So it's his copy I'm reading.

I'll really miss talking with him about the book

I really miss talking with him

I really miss him

2 Comments:

At 7/25/05, 12:32 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Elie--
Many years ago, when I was a poetry-writing teenager (these days I'm a poetry-writing adult), I read a "poem" that I wish I could've written. In its simplicity, it said so much.

I will share it with you here, as it would appear to be appropriate for your final line in this post.

"I -- Why?"

 
At 7/26/05, 5:19 PM, Blogger Zoe Strickman said...

I'm sorry about Aaron. It's hard to comment about HP after feeling what you wrote come through my screen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home